Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Identifying needle size/type once out of packaging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/identifying-needle-size-type-once-out-packaging-t72719.html)

newestnana 10-27-2010 08:00 PM

Once I've taken a needle out of its original package I have a LOT of trouble reading/interpreting its size. With "cheaters" (glasses) AND a magnifying glass I might (just might) be able to read the numbers.

However, I don't know how you'd be able to tell the difference between, say, a regular size 14 needle and a size 14 topstitch. Is there some way to know? Metallic? Embroidery?

And what do "red tip", "blue tip" etc. mean?

Sometimes I use several different needles in a day, and am not careful about putting them back in their packaging...any hints to help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Ramona Byrd 10-27-2010 08:06 PM

I put them in tiny plastic bottles that I"ve collected over the years, with the numbers printed out and taped on them just as soon as they are taken out of their packages.
Otherwise, I'm the same, can't see the darn numbers on them, even with a magnifying glass when tired.
Small spice jars, small olive jars, etc. also work quite well.

amma 10-27-2010 08:08 PM

Some people mark their tomato pincushions, drawing a grid on them for the different sizes, as well as for the different types too.
You could even make a rectangular pincushion, and mark it for all of your different needles :D:D:D

Honchey 10-27-2010 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by newestnana
Once I've taken a needle out of its original package I have a LOT of trouble reading/interpreting its size. With "cheaters" (glasses) AND a magnifying glass I might (just might) be able to read the numbers.

However, I don't know how you'd be able to tell the difference between, say, a regular size 14 needle and a size 14 topstitch. Is there some way to know? Metallic? Embroidery?

And what do "red tip", "blue tip" etc. mean?

Sometimes I use several different needles in a day, and am not careful about putting them back in their packaging...any hints to help with this?

Thanks in advance.

This download might help

sewTinker 10-28-2010 03:16 AM

my idea: when a needle is removed from its package, take a solid color fabric scrap and, with a marker, jot down everything you want to know about the needle. When done, keep the thread on your needle take a stitch into the cloth (to prevent it from sliding out), and end by sliding the needle into the fabric.

ckcowl 10-28-2010 03:38 AM

the red tips, blue tips are how you tell your needles ... different colored ends on different size/type needles. my needles are red-sharps, blue=embroidery, green- topstitch...some people keep a post-it near by, when getting out a new needle they jot down which needle they are going to use, size and type...so they can go back and reference when needed. i tend to just keep the package out, sitting beside the machine. so if i'm away for any length of time and go in to sew something i can pick it up and know exactly what needle is in the machine.

Jo M 10-28-2010 04:17 AM

Thanks for the cool download, Honchey.

Honchey 10-28-2010 06:18 AM

You are so welcome!!

Quilter7x 10-28-2010 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jo M
Thanks for the cool download, Honchey.

That is a GREAT download on needles. Everyone should look at that, it is has a lot of information in it. Thank you Honchey!

akrogirl 10-28-2010 07:24 AM

Thank you so much, Honchey. I also have a hard time keeping track of my needles.