Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-i-am-storing-projects-ziplock-bags-will-hurt-anything-put-dryer-sheet-t104109.html)

madamekelly 03-02-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
NO and NO...first, you should not STORE in ziploc, never seal up cotton so that it can not breathe!

Second the chemicals that are on dryer sheets can leave behind things you will never see.
The military has not banned the use of them on uniforms, the chemicals left behind can be picked up on heat sensors!

I always put a couple pin holes in plastic when I use it to store fabric.

Momsmurf 03-02-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
The smell is what I am worried about I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook wit garlic, and I also enjoy (I'm ready for all the "eeeeewwwwwsss"LOL)the occasional cigar
David

No "eeeeewwww" from me.

We each have our own vices or what someone might consider one.

A good cigar is a nice as a good pipe tobacco...and I'm sure you don't fill the house with the garlic or cigar smoke.

But, back to the dryer sheets....I'd start with a used one also, or maybe spray a used sheet with oust or fabreeze. Oust sure works on some very stron biological odors.

Momsmurf 03-02-2011 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
I've put in a "used" sheet was afraid a new one is to oily/greasy and may leave residue on material. I put one or two "used" in when I get a quilt top from a smoker and puff up bag and twist tie before I LA it!!

Used dryer sheets would be the way to go. I know, if you use dryer sheets, you're suppose to scrub the wire vent with soap and water every few months to clean the residue from the vent.

Wash your dryer filter screen after EVERY load...waiting a couple months isn't wise.

Nanamoms 03-02-2011 10:48 PM

Another option from someone who is so allergic to things that I can't use any type household cleaner and can usually only wear 100% cotton. I can't use any type product that out-gases and believe me that is a looonnnng list. Just ask my allergist!!

Take a pair of panty house (does anyone still have any of those? LOL). Cut about a 3 inch piece across. Tie one end. Put in about 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Tie the other end. Voila!! Takes away smells but doesn't leave any!! I change out about every 3 months. I keep these in all my clothes drawers, closets, and any plastic containers I use. I even put them under the sinks to keep away that musty smell.

earthwalker 03-02-2011 10:52 PM

Ahhhhhh never thought about going the soap route! Genius!!! I also did not think about letting the fabric breathe. Great advice everyone Thank you so much!
David

The good thing about using soap is that if you do store stuff with unwrapped soap, the soap will last longer when you eventually use it. My former MIL told me to store unwrapped soap in the linen cupboard...still do it and smells so nice when you open the door.

earthwalker 03-02-2011 10:52 PM

Ahhhhhh never thought about going the soap route! Genius!!! I also did not think about letting the fabric breathe. Great advice everyone Thank you so much!
David

The good thing about using soap is that if you do store stuff with unwrapped soap, the soap will last longer when you eventually use it. My former MIL told me to store unwrapped soap in the linen cupboard...still do it and smells so nice when you open the door.

snicktrain 03-02-2011 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Gosh, David, now I am smelling garlic and bread and want to go have italian for lunch. Looks like you got to slide on this one...lucky man.

Love it!

ladyshuffler 03-02-2011 11:20 PM

I think if you smoke in a house, it will go everywhere unless protected.

Jo Belmont 03-03-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Take a pair of panty house (does anyone still have any of those? LOL). Cut about a 3 inch piece across. Tie one end. Put in about 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Tie the other end. Voila!! Takes away smells but doesn't leave any!! I change out about every 3 months. I keep these in all my clothes drawers, closets, and any plastic containers I use. I even put them under the sinks to keep away that musty smell.

What a super idea! I love this place.

KarenR 03-03-2011 06:56 AM

I'm confused - I bought totes to store our material in (rubbermaid ones with the hinged lids) This is bad for the material? I was working on building a stash.

My aunt who quilted always used dryer sheets and cut them a little smaller then her applique pieces and stitched around them and then folded them right sides out through the little opening she left. I thought it was a great idea. Loved her quilts. The dryer sheets were used ones. She did not believe in waste.