Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If I can save just one quilter!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-i-can-save-just-one-quilter-t38514.html)

Justok 03-03-2010 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been quilting for 18 years and I know everything, (right). I am putting together a quilt with hundreds of half square triangles. I've made many thousands of 1/2 squares I can do them in my sleep. After about 100 I got tired and bored of drawing a line, sewing on both sides, cutting apart. Well I have a good eye so I tried a few with just one corner to the next, and It worked, Yea. So I made the rest of them and guess what? When I put them together they don't match. So I wasted, time, fabric and my pride is damaged. So I hope you learn from my bloated ego, and do your 1/2 squares the way you were taught.

1/2 squares not matching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28269[/ATTACH]

finished block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28270[/ATTACH]

Rachel 03-03-2010 02:09 PM

oh, the frustration... I'm so sorry. ugh!!!
Love the colors though. Can't wait to see it finished.

Dawn Hendrix 03-03-2010 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reminder to do it the way we were TAIGHT.. verses the way I was going to do them.. just like YOU!

THANK YOU for the reminder!!

MadQuilter 03-03-2010 02:15 PM

This is one of those mistakes you will only make once. (Been there done that - thought to save time.....)

Sorry you have to redo.

Olivia's Grammy 03-03-2010 02:18 PM

Makes you remember why you did it the way you had done it for eons. We all need a reminder now and again. Thanks. Sorry about your quilt.

Esqmommy 03-03-2010 03:04 PM

I must be a major beginner having only been quilting for 13 years or so. But I DO NOT see the problem????

janRN 03-03-2010 03:07 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who gets over-confident. I was putting the binding on my quilt today and I'm thinking: This isn't so hard; why do people hate bindings? Welllll---I was almost done and noticed I sewed it backwards with the fold on the inside!! How could I have not noticed. Thanks for sharing your blooper-makes me feel better LOL.

BKinCO 03-03-2010 03:11 PM

OH NO!!! Sounds like something I would do!!!! :( I love your fabrics and block, though :)

Olivia's Grammy 03-03-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Glad I'm not the only one who gets over-confident. I was putting the binding on my quilt today and I'm thinking: This isn't so hard; why do people hate bindings? Welllll---I was almost done and noticed I sewed it backwards with the fold on the inside!! How could I have not noticed. Thanks for sharing your blooper-makes me feel better LOL.

Opps. Someone else did that a couple of months ago.

eparys 03-03-2010 03:44 PM

Just when we think we know it all - guess what!!

I am so sorry that you "found this out". I thought I was the only one who did this. :(

I (although this is a recent discovery) have found, whenever I think I can go for the short cut, that I am SO wrong. I now measure once, twice then three times, cut and then sew a HST at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch larger than I need so that I can trim it down to size. Ask me why . . . :oops: