Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If I have to rip out these stitches one more time... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-i-have-rip-out-these-stitches-one-more-time-t199935.html)

SallySaidSew 09-08-2012 02:31 PM

If I have to rip out these stitches one more time...

...I am gonna scream!

I think I almost did, too. I finished the quilt top yesterday for one of my granddaughters, sandwiched and pin basted it, and then started FMQing. Arrrggghh!! I just couldn't handled the extra bulk of the quilt and ended up ripping out the first few lines of stitches three times. I used an additional table to support the rolled up quilt on the back side of my machine plus my machine has a good sized throat. My problem was more with the bulkiness of the quilt in my lap since I started in the center. Now my quilt is at my LQS to be done on her LA. I gave up trying to do it myself. I can do small projects and be satisfied, but not my first large quilt.

Pat625 09-08-2012 03:11 PM

Not the same, but just finished a photo quilt and when I washed it, 3 of the 15 pictures messed up!!,Now have to reprint, and am going to try to cut out the bad squares and sew the new pictures in their place!! I wasn't sure if should scream or cry! My daughter wanted this to take out of state when she goes to see her grandmother. It is the entire extended family..And this is all for my EX mother in law who is in her 80's and very ill!!!

joyce888 09-08-2012 03:16 PM

That's the very reason why I just can't see myself quilting on my DSM.

ckcowl 09-08-2012 04:54 PM

it does take practice to manage to free motion quilt on your domestic machine- it is best to practice, practice, practice- when you are happy with the quilting on a small (like 20" square) piece then try a 36" piece- then 48" ect- work your way up until you are quilting large quilts- you might want to check around & see if there is a beginner quilting class in your area- when i first took one at the lqs we made twin sized turning 20's - the class really helped learning tips/techniques for manuvering the bulk (mine was a flannel one-both sides)
after quiting 2 or 3 twins i went to a full- then a queen- i am presently quilting (on the domestic machine) a whole-cloth queen- i have a friend who does king sized quilts often & quilts them all on her domestic- it just takes practice & patience to get there.

SallySaidSew 09-08-2012 04:57 PM

Funny you mention a Turning Twenty...I've got a lap size one almost ready to quilt for granddaughter #2. That one will go to my LQS & her LA for completion. If I had the funds, I'd buy my own system. One of these days...

barri1 09-08-2012 05:02 PM

I thought I was going to scream last sunday, and again today. does not make me happy.

sew_Tracy 09-08-2012 05:13 PM

That is so frustrating!

Tashana 09-08-2012 05:16 PM

A few days ago I had to walk away from a quilt as well. I started sweating like a pig under all that bulk in my lap and I started messing up badly. I still cannot look at that quilt because I know how much ripping I have to do. I started on a new project quite content with the idea that I am now a proud owner of a UFO. It is my first. I celebrated with a glass of wine.

SallySaidSew 09-08-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5500682)
I celebrated with a glass of wine.

I got out the chocolate!! Thank goodness for my LQS! It was good just to go there and vent. And look at fabric. :)

sandy l 09-09-2012 01:24 PM

Frustration with trying (many, many times) to FMQ and getting nowhere, is why I purchased my Voyager 17 and Hinterberg frame. True, I had to go through a learning curve with it, but once past that, I've been a happy quilter:)