Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If I'm going to pre-wash material, do I have to... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-im-going-pre-wash-material-do-i-have-t154871.html)

lelia 09-22-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
sew along raw edges before I wash and dry them?

dry material 100% in the dryer for best results?

I've never pre-washed before and want to make sure I don't mess up before I even begin. I want to try the 9 patch.

I aways pre wash. I do not sew the raw edges...just too much extra work. You can try zig zag cutting that sometimes helps the shred. But I do always wash the material Even if it is just in the sink to wash out the factory sizing and factory smell. Then if possible I wrap it in a towel and put it in the drayer. I just do it till damp that way I do not have to spritz or spinkle it when I iron. Hope that was helpful

lelia 09-22-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I overcast with a wide narrow zigzag stitch or with a wide narrow serging - the serging stitches are easier to remove than the zigzag one. I just feel that it's worth it for two reasons - 1) minimizes the strings and 2) I don't lose any fabric due to raveling - and in a bad case, that can be over half an inch on each end

As far as fraying goes - in my experience - SOME LQS fabric fray/unravel very badly.

I dry the fabric in the dryer - at a permanent press setting - don't overload it - and if necessary take the fabrics out and unwad them (for long lengths) - if it's "good" fabric, it usually dries relatively wrinkle free and I just "hand press" it while folding it.

If a dryer isn't available, I'll line dry. Usually turns out nicer for me when dried in a dryer. Fewer wrinkles.

Basically, I treat fabric like I would treat a garment made of the same fabric.

(Well, not exactly - I do soak the fabrics in hot water now before washing them)

Not that big of a deal.

I make things that I know will need to be washed - so I try to do "preventive maintenance" ahead of time.

My fears are bleach, burns, and tears.

See - already almost as many opinions as posters! ? ! ?

Lady Crafter 09-22-2011 06:20 AM

I don't do a thing with fabric to (always) wash. It gets tossed in the washer with little raveling. If the fabric is cheaper, it will ravel some. I don't dry till bone dry. It is easier to iron the fabric if slightly damp.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-22-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
I don't do a thing with fabric to (always) wash. It gets tossed in the washer with little raveling. If the fabric is cheaper, it will ravel some. I don't dry till bone dry. It is easier to iron the fabric if slightly damp.

Exactly what I do.

Ngeorgia 09-22-2011 06:30 AM

I don't do anything to it before washing (try to buy extra to account for ravel and such. I dry bone dry because I don't always fold right away. It is washed before it goes on the shelf I use liquid starch and then dry on a rack before I iron whatever the current project is.

Glassquilt 09-22-2011 07:01 AM

I stay-stitch the cut edges.

Barb44 09-22-2011 08:44 AM

I prewash everything. Lately I have been clipping the corners. It does seem to cut down on the fraying, but I never had too much problem anyway. I like the clipped corners because I can be sure later that it was washed and didn't get missed. I dry in the dryer, take it out and fold it. When I am going to use it, I starch and iron it.