Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If one piece has been washed do I need to wash all? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-one-piece-has-been-washed-do-i-need-wash-all-t224046.html)

StephT 06-19-2013 08:11 AM

If one piece has been washed do I need to wash all?

I purchased 2 yards of fabric from Etsy and I think it has been washed. It is kinda wrinkly and smells like fabric softener. I have not really unfolded it to check the cut edges.

If it has been washed do I need to wash all the fabric I use in the quilt? Or will it matter?

MadQuilter 06-19-2013 08:34 AM

I try to either use all washed or all non-washed fabric in a project. Do I always succeed? Probably not. Do I notice a big difference? Not really. A lot depends on how small the patches in the block are and how tightly the quilting is too.

DebraK 06-19-2013 08:41 AM

if it really bothers you, just wash it, but I agree with MadQuilter.

Prism99 06-19-2013 09:00 AM

No, you don't have to, especially if you do a moderate amount of quilting. Quilting holds the layers together as one, and batting takes control of that one resulting layer. Fabrics will shrink in different amounts when washed individually; they shrink differently once quilted. Plus most fabrics today don't shrink as much as in yesteryear.

DOTTYMO 06-19-2013 09:08 AM

I agree with every one. If I wash I do wash all fabric . But sometimes I put in a different piece and forget or forget to wash the back. Never noticed a difference.

Daylesewblessed 06-19-2013 10:58 AM

I pre-wash to avoid bleeding problems mostly, but there are many reasons to pre-wash. I would do it.

Jingle 06-19-2013 01:05 PM

I prewash all of my fabrics, so i never run across this.

Scissor Queen 06-19-2013 08:52 PM

I've mixed washed and unwashed in at least 10 scrap quilts so far. I haven't had a problem yet.

ckcowl 06-20-2013 02:58 AM

you will receive as many *opinions* on this as there are people...it is up to you- it will not make a huge difference in the long run what you decide to do- there are people who believe they have to pre-wash every single thing (even their batting) and there are those who pre-wash nothing---then there are those of us who pre-wash what we think needs it & don't worry about the rest---mixing both in a project...everyone makes successful beautiful quilts- regardless of which *school* they belong to. me, I pre-wash if I think it may bleed, if it smells funky or feels funky, or if it has a loose weave I am hoping to tighten up- other than that...pretty much every quilt I've ever made contains both washed & unwashed fabrics...one thing though---if I purchase *used* fabric from any source other than a regular store---yard sales, thrift stores, ebay, anywhere it has been in someone's home---even if it seems like it's been washed---I pre-wash it! you never know what you may bring in when it's come from a *private setting* if I purchase any fabric from anywhere like that it does not even go to my sewing room- or main part of house- it comes in from the garage & stops at the washer.

QuiltnNan 06-20-2013 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 6131456)
I try to either use all washed or all non-washed fabric in a project. Do I always succeed? Probably not. Do I notice a big difference? Not really. A lot depends on how small the patches in the block are and how tightly the quilting is too.

this is the same for me