Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If someone were to paint us a picture (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-someone-were-paint-us-picture-t190976.html)

jcrow 06-06-2012 08:55 AM

If someone were to paint us a picture

they wouldn't ask us what we wanted painted on it and what colors we wanted. I just read two threads about people who were having dilemmas about the colors the mothers wanted for their baby's quilts. We shouldn't ask them, I don't think. We should chose the colors and the design of the baby quilt. Just like when someone says they are going to paint us a picture.

BellaBoo 06-06-2012 09:13 AM

I agree. If I make a quilt as a gift it's a gift not a commissioned job. I'm the sort that doesn't ask opinions about color or block placements for my quilts. I will show what fabrics or pattern design I'm thinking about using but don't ask others what do you think I should use. I don't understand why others do that at guild. They bring in a finished quilt top and want others to decide the border, backing and binding choice. Seldom do I see what I consider a good choice from what fabric they bring to choose from, most are usually what fabric they have enough of to use not that it actually works with the colors they have in the top.

alwayslearning 06-06-2012 09:25 AM

I agree with you. It seems, however, that today's society with gift registrations at every store (weddings, etc.) is dictating that THEY decide everything and that the gift giver better adhere. Too many do not understand the creative process.

alisonquilts 06-06-2012 09:40 AM

I go the other way on this. I much prefer to have a general (or even specific) idea about the preferences of the person I am giving a gift to - I like the feeling of giving them something they will really like, and will really use.

My best friend of 30 years got married four years ago and for her wedding gift I gave her a certificate for the quilt of her choice to be custom made by me. I did it this way because, while I know her extremely well, I didn't know her husband-to-be at all (we don't live in the same country anymore). I expected them to choose a queen or king-sized bed quilt in a somewhat classic pattern, based on my knowledge of my friend. In fact they chose a landscape quilt wallhanging (which was a ton of fun to make - much more up my alley than the bedquilt would have been) and it has hung on the wall above their bed since one day after it arrived at their house. That makes me feel great!

I have many similar stories, but that one really shows my point.

Alison

QuiltnNan 06-06-2012 09:47 AM

i agree with allisonquilts... my goal is to please the recipient. so, if i don't know them well, many times, i ask what they would like in the way of color family or general style. that way, i know that it will be something they will enjoy and use.

susie-susie-susie 06-06-2012 10:04 AM

It might be better to ask what color the baby's room will be and if they will have a theme. Asking someone who doesn't quilt about colors isn't a very good idea. They have no idea how the colors will be used. jmho
Sue

NJ Quilter 06-06-2012 11:51 AM

I usually don't tell the recipient what I'm gifting. I'll try to find out color/pattern preferences on baby items but that's about it. And gender if it's known. The last baby quilt I did was for a couple where I didn't know the mom. I wanted to make that quilt because the dad was the person who found my FW for me. I used the FW to make the quilt. I found gender neutral colors that I liked. Was also able to find a themed fabric for an activity that is/was common with the dad/us. The mom was absolutely delighted and the dad was overwhelmed with emotion. And as I do with all quilts that I make/gift they had strict instructions to USE the quilt!

bearisgray 06-06-2012 06:07 PM

That is a dilemma -I would want to make something that would please the recipient - and that I would enjoy making.

JanTx 06-06-2012 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't expect the baby quilt I gift to be part of the decoration in the nursery. I figure the mom has already done the dcorating and has purchased a bed set for the baby. My quilts are for the floor in the living room - to cover the stroller - to put out under a tree - to cover the toddler napping on the couch on a sick day a few years later - or even to put on a toddler bed a couple of years down the road. The color or theme of the nursery doesn't matter for any of those uses. Last year I made a quilt for a new dad - also made one for the baby. I was surprised when I recently got a picture from the mom of one of those quilts in use - it was the one I'd made for the dad - not the one I'd made for the baby. But it was being used and that's what mattered.

Dolphyngyrl 06-06-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning (Post 5269400)
I agree with you. It seems, however, that today's society with gift registrations at every store (weddings, etc.) is dictating that THEY decide everything and that the gift giver better adhere. Too many do not understand the creative process.

Yeah but you also have to look at it this way, the person can either really love and enjoy your gift(ie time well spent) or hate the color design, etc shove it in a closet and never use it(time and money wasted). Some people are picky, but if I am gonna make something that time consuming and precious I would like to know it will be cherished