Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you could quilt your own quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-could-quilt-your-own-quilt-t252226.html)

MamaHen 08-21-2014 06:02 AM

If you could quilt your own quilt?

I'm thinking of starting a new business, the idea is to open a quilting shop (only long arm quilting supplies stocked), where customers could come & use the stores long arm machines to quilt their own quilts for a nominal fee. If something like this was available in your area, would you use it as opposed to sending your quilts out for hire??? Of course those wanting to use machines would have to go through a 3-4 hr class on use & then reserve time for the machines. This shop would also be a machine dealer offering machines for sale & travel to shows. I'm wondering if the need is out there & if the expense would be offset by the income. Not looking to make a killing, only enough to pay overhead. What do you all think? All opinions are welcome

tessagin 08-21-2014 06:09 AM

Sounds good! I would certainly think about going to a shop like that. The sewing center I frequent does that. They have machines in a large studio in the back just like what they sell in front. And yes you have to take a class if you want to rent a machine. Not sure how much they charge. They do sell other sewing notions. They also repair.

Nammie to 7 08-21-2014 06:11 AM

I know of at least one place that does this -- they offer classes on the machine which are mandatory if you want to quilt on their machines. I wish we had such a place where I live. I would use it! I think that some people then end up buying a machine from the dealer once they find out they can do it! Good luck in your venture!

stitchquick 08-21-2014 06:18 AM

I wish more think like here in georgia

Originally Posted by MamaHen (Post 6853653)
I'm thinking of starting a new business, the idea is to open a quilting shop (only long arm quilting supplies stocked), where customers could come & use the stores long arm machines to quilt their own quilts for a nominal fee. If something like this was available in your area, would you use it as opposed to sending your quilts out for hire??? Of course those wanting to use machines would have to go through a 3-4 hr class on use & then reserve time for the machines. This shop would also be a machine dealer offering machines for sale & travel to shows. I'm wondering if the need is out there & if the expense would be offset by the income. Not looking to make a killing, only enough to pay overhead. What do you all think? All opinions are welcome

Jeanne S 08-21-2014 06:20 AM

I would love to try to use a LA on a quilt. However can it reasonably be done in one visit? You couldn't have the machine tied up if someone gets tired and needs a break once the quilt is loaded I am guessing. The pricing would be a factor, but sounds like a great idea to me.

susie-susie-susie 08-21-2014 06:40 AM

I used to rent time on a long arm at a shop near my house, sadly they closed recently. She had 3 Gammill machines, and only rented one of them. She quilted for others. I did have to take a class and buy the zippers to load the quilt. The zippers cut the loading time quite a bit. I usually could finish a small--twin sized quilt in about 4 hours. It is kind of hard to quilt for 4 hours because I have a bad back. It was also somewhat inconvenient to plan ahead as to when you wanted to go to the shop and quilt. I really enjoyed quilting on the big machine, but only could do pantos. I'm sure it would take a lot longer if you wanted to do free designs. Your idea sounds wonderful, and I wish you luck if you decide to go with it. Wish I lived closer to you.
Sue

dunster 08-21-2014 06:53 AM

There are people who want to rent time on a longarm and are willing to pay to do it. There are people who have successful businesses incorporating this activity. Be sure that you have a good business plan before starting up, and that your expenses will be covered even in months when there aren't as many customers. It's not usually the idea that fails, but its execution.

Gramie bj 08-21-2014 07:09 AM

I have to agree with Susie about how long it takes to do the quilting. I have a LA and my twin size quilts are on it minimum of 2 days for a simple edge to edge pattern, I do all free hand. That being said Having a shop like that would be great, a LA takes up a lot of floor space in the sewing room.

Knitette 08-21-2014 07:19 AM

I rent the Gammill at my LQS for anything larger than a cot or lap quilt. To me, not having to wrestle and grapple three layers of quilt is worth every penny! I had one lesson with the owner and luckily took to it like the proverbial duck.

More is charged for the first hour (loading the quilt on) as presumably the time of one of the shop assistant is factored in, then there is a set rate per hour after that.

If you want to use a pantograph you need an additional lesson. It's in use most days. :)

meyert 08-21-2014 07:25 AM

I would do that...I would like to learn how to do it. But then that would probably only make me want to buy my own once I got my hands on it