Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-dont-like-sample-quilt-colors-you-interested-pattern-t282858.html)

toverly 10-09-2016 04:31 AM

It is definitely the color that attracts my eye but it is the contrast that holds it. Sometimes there will be a blues/green quilt pattern that I think I just have to make and when I examine it closer, it loses something because it ends up low contrast. I'm a high contrast gal.

fivepaws 10-09-2016 05:16 AM

All of the time. I can not seem to get past the colors and see the pattern for itself. Just a silly idiosyncrasy.

Wonnie 10-09-2016 07:30 AM

If I were brutally honest I would have to say I'm greatly influenced by color and with all the gorgeous quilt patterns out there I will look past those that scream of multiple colors I don't particularly like to something that jumps out at me and that I know I will enjoy making clear to the end because with fewer colors that work well together I can clearly see the pattern as well.

Tudey 10-09-2016 07:56 AM

A lot of times, I don't like the original colors, but have a colorway of my own on mind. I try to see if I can picture it in the colors I want to use.

caspharm 10-09-2016 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 7671902)
This is how I am. Exactly.

Same here.

BettyGee 10-09-2016 08:20 AM

Frequently I'm drawn to a pattern because of the colors and when I really look at the way it is constructed I don't like it so much. So color was the rule, but now I have found myself really looking at the pattern and the techniques used. This has been very much to my benefit as I've made some great (well I think so anyway) quilts using different colors than those shown. As I continue to learn, hey I've only been quilting for about 27 years, my acceptance of brighter colors has been a fun addition to my passion.

pyffer3 10-09-2016 08:24 AM

I guess i am one for deciding whether I like the colors or not. I figure there are tons of patterns out there and passing on one isn't going to keep me from moving on to something else instead. Besides, the next time I see that same pattern I originally passed on it might strike me differently! Might be a mood thing and not a prejudice of the colors!!!

crafty pat 10-09-2016 09:28 AM

I always look at the pattern and if I like that I start picturing it in different fabrics and colors. I have never made a quilt with the colors or fabrics shown.

Pennyhal 10-09-2016 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 7671886)
My initial reaction is often based on color. If I like the colors, I'll usually like the quilt and pattern instinctively. I have the opposite reaction if it's in colors I don't care for.

Me too. I know it's silly, but it still happens.

MadQuilter 10-09-2016 11:12 AM

I have seen patterns I don't like done with colors I like and vice versa.