Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you have a longarm, what kind do you have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-have-longarm-what-kind-do-you-have-t216942.html)

newbee3 03-21-2013 06:02 PM

I just got my longarm in Jan. the day before my shoulder surgery so I have only done one baby size quilt and some practice. I am a owner of a nustyle no bells or whistles it is 17" with a 12ft table I believe it will be great I am almost done with theropy and my shoulder feels pretty good I have several that need to be done.

pumpkinpatchquilter 03-21-2013 06:27 PM

I have an older APQS Ultimate I that I purchased used almost three months ago...and so far I've quilted about 15 quilts on it. I love it! But...I'm also an obsessed quilter of ten years. I quilt just about every day so I knew that if I hadn't gotten sick of it by now I'd be safe to invest a few bucks into a machine and frame. LOL*

Jennie and Me 03-21-2013 07:24 PM

I have an APQS Millenium, stitch regulated, 14 ft. frame. She takes up a lot of space, but I dearly love her. She's the Jennie in Jennie and Me. Bought her new in 2004. APQS has a great support team and their machines are USA made in Carroll, Iowa. I've quilted several hundred quilts on her, most for others. Hand driven by me. But I still keep thinking that I will try to do some quilting(small stuff) on my domestic machine. I'll get up the nerve one of these days!;)

Albertab 03-21-2013 07:36 PM

I have a Gammill Opimum Statler Stitcher. This is my third machine. I had a Gammill Classic (1999) then a Classic Plus (2002) then the Statler(2005). (Love it) I have no idea how many quilts I have done, A lot! I worked full time and quilted until 2009. I got layed off from my job, sold my car, paid off my statler and have been a happy quilter ever since. : )

cathyvv 03-21-2013 09:24 PM

HQ 16 with pc-quilter for computerized quilting. I've had it for about 3 years and done about 20 quilts on it. I only do edge to edge patterns, though, because of some health issues. If I didn't buy it, I would have gone broke getting my quilt tops 'done' by someone else. I had 2 done at about $200 a piece, and didn't like the result.

Sometimes I still don't like the result of the quilting, but now I have only myself to blame.

cathyvv 03-21-2013 09:34 PM

I'd love to have a really big long arm, but realistically, that isn't in the financial cards. My HQ16, bought second hand, is a work horse. After 3 years of use, I was going to take it to be serviced when DH said. "Let me do it."

I hesitated, but then told him he could service it (he's handy mechanically), but if it didn't work after he was done, I was upgrading to a bigger machine. That might have motivated him; he cleaned it and put it back together with no 'extra screws'. After taking it apart, the only thing that it needed was to removal of a few pieces of thread that had lodged the mechanics.

The bottom line is that, for a relatively simple machine like the HQ16, self service is possible if you're mechanically inclined.

alleyoop1 03-22-2013 05:14 AM

I have a dream of owning one someday.....does that count?

QuiltNama 03-22-2013 05:45 AM

I have an HQ16 and love the ease of use of the machine, great customer service, lots of videos on the web and have called with questions and have been talked through a few of my problems. Have used almost all brands of thread and all of them work fine, and have quilted several hundred quilts in the 4 years I've had my machine.

CarolynMT 03-22-2013 05:54 AM

I am in the market for a long arm. Will be going to the local machine quilters show so I can try all the different brands. I have a LQS where I learned to use one and rent time on it. They have a Prodigy 24". Have to say I LOVE that machine. I am considering getting the 22" Innova with a 12ft table. Unless one of the other machines really strikes my fancy more. **Anxiously awaiting the april show so I can try and buy :)

Bobbielinks 03-22-2013 06:22 AM

It's a Gammill for me. Purchased new in 2000 from West Plains, MO. I lost count of how many tops I quilted when I reached 1,125. This machine is not computerized and no stitch regulator, but it is a great workhorse. I simple love this machine and every single minute quilting with it.