Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-make-quilts-items-sell-new-developement-t169254.html)

nursie76 11-22-2011 06:07 AM

I have been following this thread with interest. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a designer designs a fabric the he/she feels will be marketable and sell well. They have it produced by the fabric manufacturer to...well...sell. So folks decide the fabric is awesome, buy it (sometimes at a premium price), take it home because it is perfect for a commissioned quilt, table topper...whatever. But wait! Can't do that because the same designer that was anxious to create a marketable fabric and have it produced for sale....wants...what??? A commission on anything crafted with that fabric and sold??? Phew.....it doesn't make sense. What do they expect to happen? That we would all pay to sit and stare at the fabric as one would in a museum? I can almost understand the sports logo type issue, but the rest is plain lunacy! If one makes a craft of their material that sells well at a flea market or specialty shop, then they will make more money because more fabric will be sold. Humph! I will definitely pay attention to the selvages on the fabric I buy from here on. I have yet to sell an item, but it just doesn't make sense. I respect the talent that goes into producing fabric designs, but when I part with my hard earned dollars to purchase said fabric, I feel that it then becomes mine to do with as I wish. By paying for the fabric, I am in essence paying the designer. Good Grief!

DianneK 11-22-2011 06:14 AM

Things are getting out of hand!! I guess I will not let it bother me. Someone has too much time on their hands.

MadP 11-22-2011 06:14 AM

How about using the fabric for charity. I probably will avoid fabrics marked that way. Their loss my gain.

Material Witness 11-22-2011 06:17 AM

How about I sell my work/time involved, but am giving away the fabric part for free?

hobo2000 11-22-2011 06:20 AM

I feel our LQS should place these in a special rack marked for us to see. They should do that as a courtesy to their customers. Also, they should not make pre-cuts of these fabrics. However, on a recent visit to Walmart, I saw a shower curtain that had the same design as a certain Kaffe Fassett fabric that I have. The label said nothing about Kaffe only "Made in China". I think this is what they are trying to stop. Sad thing, the fabric may have been made in China.

nursie76 11-22-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness (Post 4709040)
How about I sell my work/time involved, but am giving away the fabric part for free?

I agree totally!

arheath 11-22-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76 (Post 4709010)
I have been following this thread with interest. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a designer designs a fabric the he/she feels will be marketable and sell well. They have it produced by the fabric manufacturer to...well...sell. So folks decide the fabric is awesome, buy it (sometimes at a premium price), take it home because it is perfect for a commissioned quilt, table topper...whatever. But wait! Can't do that because the same designer that was anxious to create a marketable fabric and have it produced for sale....wants...what??? A commission on anything crafted with that fabric and sold??? Phew.....it doesn't make sense. What do they expect to happen? That we would all pay to sit and stare at the fabric as one would in a museum? I can almost understand the sports logo type issue, but the rest is plain lunacy! If one makes a craft of their material that sells well at a flea market or specialty shop, then they will make more money because more fabric will be sold. Humph! I will definitely pay attention to the selvages on the fabric I buy from here on. I have yet to sell an item, but it just doesn't make sense. I respect the talent that goes into producing fabric designs, but when I part with my hard earned dollars to purchase said fabric, I feel that it then becomes mine to do with as I wish. By paying for the fabric, I am in essence paying the designer. Good Grief!

I agree with everything you said but still have trouble with the sports and disney materials. I still have disney material from years ago when they didn't have the restrictions. I can't make anything with it because my kids don't even care about disney anymore. My grandkids say "Minnie who?" Ohio State material used to be sold and I made stuff for my kids with it but now one can't even find it anywhere. They want you to buy their finished products. I don't want that so don't buy anything. Their loss I figure. Greed is a sad thing.

bearisgray 11-22-2011 07:11 AM

Has anyone heard from a manufacturer or designer that has their name on a selvage?

k9dancer 11-22-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shirls4sons (Post 4705200)
I agree with everyone saying they will not buy this type of fabric anymore. I will certainly be checking and will not buy it. Hope we all put those out of business. What a stupid law they came up with. Seems to me this will defeat their whole selling/profit reason for being. :thumbdown:

That's the point; it is NOT a law. Just because they would like it to be so, does not make it so. They could print on the selvedge "not to be used by anyone named Sylvia," but they could never enforce that because the Sylvias of the world never agreed to it.

ruthrings 11-22-2011 07:21 AM

Usually when things are restricted like that, they'd be happy for you to use them provided they get a cut of the profit. Lots of luck with that!!! I would think they'll soon learn.