Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-make-quilts-items-sell-new-developement-t169254.html)

joyce888 11-21-2011 06:28 AM

I buy a lot of Susan Winget fabrics because they are beautiful; so I just pulled my latest gathering and the selvage says " Sold for Non-Commerical home use only" on all of it. Maybe this is something our LQS and even JoAnns and Hancock's should post in their shops as a warning to the customer. It won't stop me from buying because I don't make things to sell.

Deb watkins 11-21-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 4704899)
In addition to not buying the fabric, let the store owners know you are NOT buying that fabric, and WHY.

Oh, this is a good way too! Yes, if they don't want us to use/sell their product, then I guess they should not have it out for sale!

sha'z 11-21-2011 06:33 AM

Thank you for the "heads up"!

Shirls4sons 11-21-2011 06:40 AM

I agree with everyone saying they will not buy this type of fabric anymore. I will certainly be checking and will not buy it. Hope we all put those out of business. What a stupid law they came up with. Seems to me this will defeat their whole selling/profit reason for being. :thumbdown:

Shirls4sons 11-21-2011 06:42 AM

I don't make things to sell, but I think not buying their product would eventually stop this nonsense.

Lori S 11-21-2011 06:53 AM

If I happen to use 2 inches of such a fabric, because ot somehow found its way into my stash , and happened to sell it something made from it ... let them find me ! Really .... If they have nothing better to do!
I do not and would not purchase any fabric that has any restrictions on it .

Buckeye Rose 11-21-2011 07:07 AM

how exactly are you going to not buy that fabric if you are an online shopper? you can't see the selvedges to know if there is a warning or not!

Dkm 11-21-2011 07:08 AM

I just bought some Jim Shore Christmas fabric and when I got it home that's what it said on the edge. First for me and last purchase of that fabric.

Tink's Mom 11-21-2011 07:08 AM

When I'l buying fabric for my craft show...I generally will pay attention to this wording on the selvage...I have put back several very cute fabrics this year....BUT...I think some designers have taken this a bit far.

I purchased some Brown and White dotted fabric last week...and it also says "not for commercial use"...excuse me....these are standard little white circles on a solid brown fabric....no designs...nothing... No, I didn't see the wording before purchase, but wasn't looking for it on a basic material...it wasn't even a named designer.

I have cut this fabric up and used it, and I sold everything that I had with that fabric in it, this weekend...

I'm sorry, but, I call the line at trademarking something like that...and I will NOT honor the "not for Commercial use" on something that is a nomal, everyday pattern.

#1piecemaker 11-21-2011 07:19 AM

Everybody wants a piece of the pie don't they? I will be watching what I buy!