Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-prefer-your-fabric-torn-rather-than-cut-t86507.html)

Favorite Fabrics 12-31-2010 12:34 PM

If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut...

You can't really use *all* of the length of fabric, because you will lose at least 1/4" and possibly more, at each end.

So... what to do about that?

Do you buy a bit extra? Does your LQS throw in a little extra to compensate? If so, how much extra?

frugalfabrics 12-31-2010 12:36 PM

When I worked at Hobby Lobby, I ALWAYS cut an extra couple inches. When I'd get fabric at Walmart, they always cut the exact amount...not even a smidgen over.

deema 12-31-2010 12:37 PM

Well, yes, I lose about 1/4"...but that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 1-6" I've lost, many times, because of a wonky cut...also, my lqs always cuts an extra inch or two to be on the safe side...

JulieR 12-31-2010 12:40 PM

I've never noticed it being an issue. Once in a while my LQS throws in an extra inch or two for something else (last time it was because mine was the first tear), but normally not.

I seriously have not seen this distortion and raveling everyone has talked about. Dampen and press - done. Since 1/4" is in the seam allowance I guess I just don't fuss if the edge is a little more ragged than it would have been with a rotary cutter.

Favorite Fabrics 12-31-2010 12:42 PM

'Nother question just occurred to me... if the fabric is a printed plaid, or a panel... you wouldn't want those torn, would you? 'Cause if they are printed even the slightest bit off-grain, it will show up.

Would you prefer that the fabric be cut in this case?

Holice 12-31-2010 12:43 PM

I always straighten up the fabric so cutting is not an issue
EXCEPT for wide backing. I have started asking that wide backing be torn because it is double/double folded on the bolt and even adding a smidgen I loose significantly more than an inch or so. Last I bought I lost 6" on both ends.

diannemc 12-31-2010 12:44 PM

Hobby Lobby is very good at giving extra..Wal-mart no..I went to Joann's for the first time the other day and won't go back. the fabric was cut so bad.. when I said something to the lady about giving a little extra to even it up she got mad and made sure she didn't give a bit more then what I asked for. She even pulled and stretched it to be what I asked for.. So ugly!! Won't go back ever!!

fun2quilt 12-31-2010 12:44 PM

At least with it torn you know you are getting a straight edge and that is worth losing the 1/4". Got some at Joann's once that was cut so bad I lost over 6", both sides were not straight. The cutters get upset when you make them place the fabric so you get what you are asking for.

JulieR 12-31-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
'Nother question just occurred to me... if the fabric is a printed plaid, or a panel... you wouldn't want those torn, would you? 'Cause if they are printed even the slightest bit off-grain, it's really going to be a problem.

Would you prefer that the fabric be cut in this case?

I probably wouldn't buy it.

Decoratenu 12-31-2010 12:57 PM

I rarely tear -- unless I suspect a fabric has been cut WAY off grain. I think tearing stretches the fabric, but if you're pre-washing, that would solve the stretching issue. Not everyone likes to pre-wash. I definitely think stores should train their cutters to recognize where the grainline is, so a fabric can be cut straight. It doesn't have to be perfect -- just close, so there aren't waste issues -- for them or us. I've bought lots of "remnants" (for crafts) that no one else would buy at the end of a bolt because it was way off grain. The worst is sheer fabric & I always have to buy extra.