Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you sell your quilts, how do you know what is a fair market price?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-sell-your-quilts-how-do-you-know-what-fair-market-price-t19098.html)

tlrnhi 04-18-2009 04:48 AM

Have you checked to see what else she is selling? OMG!!
She has a horse she is "selling". Says she'll trade for chickens or a saddle..."first person with a 100.00 gets him hes nice horse loves kids hes the brown one will trade for chickens or western saddle pigs just make an offer i need him gone".
She really doesn't sound like a person I would want to do business with.

JANW 04-18-2009 04:50 AM

check the prices of Amish quilts at theoldcountrystore.com

tlrnhi 04-18-2009 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by JANW
check the prices of Amish quilts at theoldcountrystore.com

I don't think you can really compare the Amish quilts to what this lady is selling.

sandpat 04-18-2009 04:59 AM

Looks like maybe a panel just layered and bound. This maybe just a person who needs to make a little money...really badly needs money. I would be highly insulted if someone offered me these prices for any of my quilts....but....to each his own. I've seen some quilts that if someone paid those prices for...they would have overpaid also :roll:

I'm thinking for the types of quilts that most on this board do...the prices would be 4/5 times that....and would be a bargain :wink:

tlrnhi 04-18-2009 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Looks like maybe a panel just layered and bound. This maybe just a person who needs to make a little money...really badly needs money. I would be highly insulted if someone offered me these prices for any of my quilts....but....to each his own. I've seen some quilts that if someone paid those prices for...they would have overpaid also :roll:

I'm thinking for the types of quilts that most on this board do...the prices would be 4/5 times that....and would be a bargain :wink:

Especially if it were a Chicken Quilt. :) :) :)

Darlene 04-18-2009 05:13 AM

The Amish quilts are beautiful but you can be sure that they didn't pay the Amish those kinds of prices for their quilts. We had a fabric shop here run by the Mennonites and they sold their quilts from $250-$400.

Tippy 04-18-2009 09:19 AM

The first item I ever sold was a 36x45 wall hanging.. I do it all by hand. No machine.. I got $250. for it.. that was in the late 80's. The purple star lap quilt in my pics is sold to a dear friend for the same price...but ONLY because it is a friend. I think you have to price your quilts according to your skill level, your time and the cost of your materials. I quilt for my pleasure and not for a business.. so that's my "free" time I'm selling as I work full time. That time does not come cheap. And I only use 1st quality materials.
I have seen queen sized hand pieced and quilted quilts go for $1,500. at the Mutton Hollow Quilt shop in Branson, Missouri.. it was pretty nice, and I saw a toe hanger go for around $800. for a double size.

motomom 04-18-2009 10:50 AM

a "toe hanger?" Is that what I think it is?

:D :D :D

motomom 04-18-2009 10:55 AM

I would go to www.etsy.com and look and see what prices are for something comparable. I saw one terrific art quilt on there for some big bucks, I think $15,000??

As the owner of a retail store, I can tell you to remember that your price has to be set on what your market will bear. Never, ever, ever be afraid to price something for what it is worth to you. I tend to set prices on what I would be willing to pay.

JoanneS 04-18-2009 12:09 PM

At first, I though maybe it was a site selling those cheap, imported , slave labor quilts from China. Now I agree with Terri. The poor woman sounds a little nuts. Unless you 'trade' your money in person, I wonder if you would really receive the quilt? I don't usually mistrust people this much, but it sounds pretty whacky - - -