Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you thought of a girl quilt which one would it be? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-thought-girl-quilt-one-would-t86750.html)

Scissor Queen 01-01-2011 12:12 PM

I found a pattern in The Quilter some time back that I really liked. It was Shoo Fly blocks with triple sashing and cornerstones, set on point. Theirs was done in blue and yellow. I changed it and did mine in Seaside Rose and Paris Flea Market fabrics. They're very soft pinks and whites with just touches of pale green.

When I don't have a long haired black cat sleeping on my bed anymore I'll get it quilted.

anna44 01-01-2011 12:15 PM

Use pastel colors, appliqued hearts, the basket block (I forget what it's called).

amma 01-01-2011 01:30 PM

Play with colors, just about any pattern can be made more "girly" or "manly" :D:D:D

Lady Crafter 01-01-2011 01:33 PM

Pink has been my favorite color since I was a girl ... a long LONG time ago .... I also agree that it is more about the colors .... and of course, include some pretty florals! Be sure to share! :D

clem55 01-01-2011 03:57 PM

I did the Grandmothers Fan, pastel aquas and lace trim. Very girly!

jitkaau 01-02-2011 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I think it's more about the colors than the block.

I agree. There was an extremely feminine and beautiful log cabin quilt posted here a short while ago. Very feminine because of the floral material used in a colourwash technique.

Edie 01-02-2011 03:34 AM

I would go with a sampler that has a story to it. Girls are interested in things like that and it doesn't have to necessarily be pastel. I could be a myriad of colors that are happy, that tell the story of the quilt. I like tonals for my sashing and there are some beautiful soft colors (multi) in the tonals. I got a beautiful fabric for the backing which was a pond design with greens, aquas for the water, lily pads with the lilies, frogs (not charicatures) and dragon flies -very sweet. The quilt could be used either side. That's what I would make. As a matter of fact, our neighbor is having a baby girl in May and that is basically the idea I have had for a baby quilt. I also am going to make their little boy a new quilt for his new bed and will probably do the same thing only have more male type blocks. Edie

Donna Mare 01-02-2011 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this picture up someplace... thought it was fairly easy and yet sweet and classy looking.. would be pretty in pinks too.... looks easy enough to do without a pattern.

Edie 01-02-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
I picked this picture up someplace... thought it was fairly easy and yet sweet and classy looking.. would be pretty in pinks too.... looks easy enough to do without a pattern.

Those are the colors I was thinking of - bright!

My avatar has the picture of the quilt I gave the baby across the alley from us. The white squares had little sayings that I wrote in like "Snakes and Snails and puppy dog tails", etc. The parents really liked it. Edie

Donna Mare 01-02-2011 05:52 AM

Edie.. love the ones with sayings.. Great idea!!

While my finger is healing I have been saving quilt patterns..I was stupid and let the needle bite me. ripped me up pretty good when I pulled back by instinct.. It is healing finally... almost there!! So in the meantime saving pics of quilts I like ... easy ones LOL..