Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If your sewing machine doesn't sound right... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-your-sewing-machine-doesnt-sound-right-t225317.html)

Nammie to 7 07-07-2013 11:17 AM

It does pay to know how your machine sounds! A screen pops up on my machine when it needs oil - usually I have already oiled it just prior to the pop up. Also can tell by the sound if I need to change a needle - even if it hasn't been used much.

Peckish 07-07-2013 11:43 AM

Same goes for your car..... I've told my children when they get a car, they need to drive it for a couple hundred miles with the radio off so they know what it sounds like when it's healthy.

mighty 07-08-2013 06:31 AM

So glad you found it!!!!

miriam 07-09-2013 02:45 AM

You should check the foot, shuttle hook and the needle plate for burrs when ever you break a needle. The burrs can cause the thread to shred or break. Burrs can be polished off.

Pete 07-09-2013 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by bellaboo (Post 6164283)
how true! I was using my walking foot on my bernina yesterday and it was making a clacking sound, not alarming but different sound then what i was use to. I took it off, cleaned and oiled the foot, found a piece of thread wound inside the foot. Installed the foot and the sound was gone. If your machine doesn't hum when sewing something is out of kilter.

where do you oil the walking foot?

quiltmom04 07-09-2013 06:18 AM

What sort of machine do you have that you have to oil every three bobbins? I brush mine out with each bobbin change, but don't take it apart and clean or oil. That's all I would be doing!

QandE2010 07-09-2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6164254)
Keep taking it apart until you find the problem! I am busily working on my Judy Niemeyer quilt and it was time for the "every 3 bobbin fulls" clean and oil. So I take out the hook assembly, clean all the lint out, oil rewind 3 more bobbins and put her all back together again. Put everything back together, correctly this time, put in a new needle and she sews fine but oh my what a horrible noise she is making. My Bernina usually is very quiet.

(I abbreviated original post)
Glad you found the needle tip and didn't mess anything up. I, too, have a Bernina -830 LE and I always do the maintenance after 3 Bobbins. Once in awhile, I'll have to do it earlier, but I can hear when it starts begging me for oil. Then I feed it & it purrs like a Kitten until the next time. My dealer told me that 75% of his service work is due to machines not being cleaned & oiled on a regular timeline. :)

Rose Bagwell 07-09-2013 12:10 PM

Thanks, for the info. I just finished opening and cleaning my machine. I try to do this often.

DOTTYMO 07-11-2013 05:28 AM

Felins fanatic. I have just been using my janome and it started to make a noise. Bump bump bump every time needle went down. I eventually found the screw in the plate was not tight . Screwed it up noise gone.