Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Iffy" items - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iffy-items-t311959.html)

bearisgray 07-28-2020 10:00 AM

"Iffy" items -

What do you do with your more or less usable tools/fabrics/other equipment - that are "not good enough" for you to use anynore?

Examples: rulers that have a bit of a bow on the edge
fabrics that bleed - but are still "good"
scissors that have a nick in them, but still cut

For me, donating them is not an option - because if someone is starting out to be a quilter, that someone does not need the aggravation/frustration.

I still have trouble taking those items straight to the trash. Why? I paid "good money" for them -
Did they give me long and faithful service? Some did. Some did not.
I need to become more ruthless in discarding not-useful things.

Anyone else hang on to things that are past their prime?

(I know there are a couple of members that can pitch things easily - I am not one of them)

tropit 07-28-2020 10:07 AM

Bearisgray, I'm like you. I hate throwing things away. But sometimes, ya just gotta do it. Those things are no longer usable, or worthwhile to anyone. Perhaps the plastic in the rulers can be recycled. Toss and be free. :)

~ C

mkc 07-28-2020 10:15 AM

Cutting mats that are aged-out become bench toppers for my husband's shop benches. They can get glue or paint on them there, but they have extended their useful life.

Depending on the price of the scissors, if they still cut and are a decent brand, just have a nick, they might become "paper scissors" or "garage scissors". If they are dull and can't be sharpened for some reason, they are trash.

I haven't yet has a ruler with a bad edge, but if when I do it will probably become a "convenience" ruler for things like trimming area rug pads, etc.

Tartan 07-28-2020 10:43 AM

What do I do with them? Well they end up cluttering up my sewing room of course.

ckcowl 07-28-2020 11:18 AM

I try to repurpose items, like cutting worn out cutting mats to use for tote/ purse bottoms, rulers can be recycled- I have a couple favorites that I’m struggling with the decision right now- edges aren’t bowed, but the corners are rounded instead of good 90* corners- when I replace a ruler I recycle Or repurpose the old one. I have good scissors- sometimes the local scissor sharpener guy can ( fix) a Nick. Sometimes they go to the ( tool/ junk) drawer, never know when you need to cut cardboard, a weed, a rubber something....
so, I repurpose what I can, recycle what I can- throw away very little

Onebyone 07-28-2020 11:24 AM

If it is useless to me and no one wants it, it goes in the trash and forgot about. I have never felt guilty about throwing anything away. I'm really going to keep everything?

toogie 07-28-2020 11:41 AM

I did have to laugh because my husband has had trouble with a weed eater. He was so frustrated he told our son if he took it to the dump site to bust it up good. He didn’t want anyone else to take it home and go through all the headache he had.
=35pxFor me, donating them is not an option - because if someone is starting out to be a quilter, that someone does not need the aggravation/frustration.

patricej 07-28-2020 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8405710)
What do I do with them? Well they end up cluttering up my sewing room of course.

that's me, too. lol

remember when there was somebody local who sharpened scissors and knives?
(i have tried all sorts of home sharpening devices with little to no success.)

wesing 07-28-2020 08:01 PM

Like you I keep things much longer than I should because I paid good money for them. If it’s any consolation, when I finally let go and toss them, I do get a sense of freedom and relief.

quiltingcandy 07-28-2020 08:33 PM

I grew up with a father that very rarely threw away things that we may be able to fix, may need later, or just because. We called it the Lancaster Gene. My youngest daughter has it too. But I am beginning to over come this genetic disorder. Books that I have read - are going to someone else because I will never read them a second time. Projects I started and know they will never be touched again - have been sent to people that believe they will want to work on them. But there is a small pair of scissors that are a total waste of space and for some reason keep dodging the trash can. It takes time to go thru cupboards and drawers to get rid of stuff. It may take a couple of times looking to get rid of stuff. But I am not sweating it - my daughters may have to hire one of those giant dumpsters to clean out the house when I'm gone, but that's okay. They will still love me.