Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ikea sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ikea-sewing-machine-t220920.html)

sarahspins 05-08-2013 04:23 PM

I think if you consider the intended application of the IKEA machine (simple home decor projects and hemming draperies) it's probably no worse than any other sub $100 machine that someone would go pick up at Walmart. At $69 I almost wanted to get one for my daughter to learn to sew on, however since I just got it I think she'll be starting on my new Pfaff Passport.

Dotha 05-08-2013 05:48 PM

I bought a cheap sewing machine because a sewing machine is a sewing machine, right?? No, it sewed so bad. If you are used to using a good machine, take a test drive with a less expensive one. You might be better to buy a FeatherWeight because they don't cost in the thousands...maybe $300 and up unless you are forturate to be at the right place at the right time. They sew very nice stitches.

daisylil 05-09-2013 02:44 AM

I also bought from TV , I bought a Silver machine ..never looked back , will tackle anything and comes with loads of feet including the walking foot and 10 yrs free service !!

Debbie C 05-09-2013 03:01 AM

I beg to differ - I have had Ikea furniture in my home for many years - more than 30. Both of my daughters chose Ikea furniture when they were 7 or 8 years old and now, at 23 and 29, they still have that very same furniture in their own homes....still holding up quite well. My own master bedroom is Ikea Hemnes series, my quilt studio is all Billy Bookcases and Expedit cube system. My upholstery fabric on my older love seat and dining room chairs is Ikea, my window coverings, too. The designers at Ikea know how to combine style, value and quality. I don't see why their sewing machine would not be as good a purchase as well. I'd probably own one if I had not been given my mom's and my mil's featherweights many years ago!

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 6051178)
ikea stuff is junk

Tippysmom 05-09-2013 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C (Post 6053569)
I beg to differ - I have had Ikea furniture in my home for many years - more than 30. Both of my daughters chose Ikea furniture when they were 7 or 8 years old and now, at 23 and 29, they still have that very same furniture in their own homes....still holding up quite well. My own master bedroom is Ikea Hemnes series, my quilt studio is all Billy Bookcases and Expedit cube system. My upholstery fabric on my older love seat and dining room chairs is Ikea, my window coverings, too. The designers at Ikea know how to combine style, value and quality. I don't see why their sewing machine would not be as good a purchase as well. I'd probably own one if I had not been given my mom's and my mil's featherweights many years ago!

I agree wholeheartedly!! My ex and I had lots of Ikea furniture, lamps, kitchen items, and plenty of storage cubes, shelves, etc. I lost most of it in the divorce and miss it dearly. I now live 3 hours from the closest Ikea and am dying to go! Going through the store is an adventure, you never know what you will find. The Swedish meatballs aren't bad, either!

Huge Ikea fan

sparkys_mom 05-09-2013 03:50 AM

I've seen the Ikea machine and it is a cute little thing but I have no idea as to how it performs. I have a Brother CS6000i that I haul off to classes and such. It is very light - I can pick it up with one hand - and makes a decent 1/4" seam. I had to purchase the 1/4" foot but it comes with a walking foot and a free motion foot so that was nice. It was under $200. I have had it for about five years and used it exclusively the first 2-3 years I had it until I bought my Janome 7700.

If I had to judge the Ikea machine based on my experience with their other products I would say it is a good bet. I've had furniture and housewares that hold up beautifully.

Annemixon 05-09-2013 03:53 AM

Have you thought of looking at thrift shops and yard sales, what about Craigslist?

wbfrog 05-09-2013 03:56 AM

Hi, I did not know that Ikea had sewing machines will have to check them out. I have two singer machines that I take to class to keep from taking my diamond. As long as the Ikea machine works for you that main issue.

solstice3 05-09-2013 05:09 AM

I would hold out for a feather weight. I like Ikea gadgets but am leery of plastic machines. Just like the "new Featherweight" .... looks cheap.

LindaR 05-09-2013 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by ashlett (Post 6049289)
At home I have a Janome horizon sewing machine which I love, but I need a small cheap machine to take to class or out into the garden, I love the look and price of the ikea machine and wondered if any of you have one.

I just got the janome horizon and just love it....I have my older kenmore as my take/it machine.