Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'll never buy FQs again. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ill-never-buy-fqs-again-t209031.html)

Susan01948 12-24-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5735158)
CT usually gives very generous cuts. If you contact them, I'm sure they will make it right.

I got some Stone Henge strips that were not all 2.5" Just because, I sent the company an email. About 3 weeks later with no comments or return email I got two more packages just like I had bought and these were accurate. I really didn't expect anything, I just thought they should know they were off and that that shouldn't happen so I was very plesently pleased.
The moral of this story is a call or email can make things better!
Susan

Skittl1321 12-24-2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by leighway (Post 5737966)
I'm not a whiz at figuring out whether something is well prices relative to something else, but I caught on real fast when FQs began showing up on the scene. How do you justify the per yard cost when you're paying $3.99 for a FQ? or even $2.99? Buy the quarter yard, stand there while they cut it and go home and be happy. The price for FQ bundles is even more ridiculous.

My LQS has a half-yard minimum, so you can't just buy a quarter yard (plus, a fat quarter allows better cuts than half-yards, which are sometimes too narrow.) If I don't need yardage, I buy online- fabric.com's price for half-yard is about the same as a fat quarter in many places.

I don't buy too many pre-cuts because they are so expensive.

Marysewfun 12-24-2012 11:39 AM

I buy few fat quarters - still new to this stuff - but I bought a pack of five and four out of the five were still fine after washing - I expect a skosh shrinkage from washing - but one out of the five was way off! Unless it is a fabric that I would only use "this once", I like to buy 1/2 yd and build my stash. But some of the fabrics in the FQ can't be found on bolts.

I ordered fabric online and it was a stretch denim - similar to the pajama jeans they are selling - and the company gave me almost a 1/4 yd more - and after I washed the fabric and it shrunk, (thank you) I still had the yardage total I ordered. Of course, I will be buying from them again for their foresight and generosity. :-)

Marysewfun

Wanabee Quiltin 12-24-2012 05:20 PM

How about the really wide selvages ? I have had some 1/2 wide.

sewbeadit 12-24-2012 08:20 PM

I have never cared for pre cuts of any size or style. That is one of the reasons I don't buy fat quarters, the problem that you are having. Kaufman had some well cut ones that were given to me, but most are not, some are cut of poor quality and are not on the grain, etc. I agree buying by the yard is much better.

onaemtnest 12-25-2012 06:35 AM

I've always been amazed at the true cost of pre-cuts, I personally just cannot justify the cost. So I'm yardage person.

As much as I really like Missouri Star Quilt Tutorials and try to thank them by purchasing products from them I just can't buy pre-cuts (which seems to be a huge portion of their online shop) even those on daily deals. Quite often I'll think "Oh my that's a pretty cut" and then look at the other cuts in the roll or layer and they are totally not something I'd chose to use in a quilt.

My preference is to buy my fabric at a LQS, even on a limited budget buying when they have sales which is frequently. I also shop JoAnn's and Hancocks being extra careful about the quality of the fabrics as from bolt-to-bolt the 'hand'/quality can vary so much.

tenngal 12-25-2012 12:54 PM

FQ's

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5735158)
CT usually gives very generous cuts. If you contact them, I'm sure they will make it right.

Thank you for telling us this. Now I feel free to order from them.

sewbeadit 12-27-2012 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by NanaBeez (Post 5737720)
I guess this problem is one of the reasons I never buy "exactly" what I need. Even the smallest scraps can have a use. Of course I am one of those who wouldn't have to buy another yard and have enough through the end of the world. Whenever it is next.

LOL NanaBeez, that was funny! I too have a stash that large, through the end of the world, whenever the next is.

Violet Rose 12-27-2012 11:07 AM

I quit buying fat quarters years ago. One of my quilting teachers to us that for a few more pennies we could buy a full 1/3 of a yard and then we'd be sure we would have enough fabric plus a little left over for scraps or applicque. With the price of fabric, you can't afford to be short on any size piece.

Grandma Peg 12-27-2012 11:22 AM

That is too bad. One doesn't always get the best quality even from a LQS.