Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm addicted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-addicted-t173384.html)

hheelleenn 12-27-2011 02:02 PM

I'm addicted

1 Attachment(s)
I just read instructions on a web site for string quilts (why call them "string" quilts when we use strips?) This is the most fun I've had since beginning quilting. It's a great way to use up scraps. Most of you folk's are probably thinking Well, yeah! I just started the process with what will be a wall hanging. I'm doing "diamonds" but will plan on hearts, squares, and more. I've finally found something to use my scraps for. I'll post it when I'm done. I'm learning but half the fun is trying to correct errors so they look on purpose.[ATTACH=CONFIG]298244[/ATTACH]

Sandra in Minnesota 12-27-2011 02:29 PM

Isn't it fun, all you learn on this Board??

erstan947 12-27-2011 02:34 PM

I'm working on a crumb quilt right now. So much fun but have not put a dint in my scrap box.:)

valsma 12-27-2011 02:39 PM

This board and the people on it are great sources of information. I have learned a lot from these generous people.
I question why some techniques, patterns, ect are called what they are, but as long as they turn out who am I to fight it. LOL

wichypoo 12-27-2011 02:55 PM

Great start, I am liking this diamond , very striking and seem like what I need in the kitchen to wake me up in the am. lol
keep it up, we all have our addictions.....

Tartan 12-27-2011 03:28 PM

Excellent start! You may like Bonnie Hunter's site www.quiltville.com. It is packed with lots of quilts to use up scraps and strips. There is a column of great tutorials down the right hand side of that site. I have an ongoing Spiderweb top for using up my scraps. I have also done the Basketweave Strips/String. There some good examples of her Boxed Stars on QB too. Have fun and keep using up your scraps because they seem to reproduce.

hheelleenn 12-27-2011 04:15 PM

OMG, You are an enabler Tartan. Wow that site is great. I have 3 or 4 projects picked out. THANK YOU

ckcowl 12-27-2011 04:21 PM

they are called (string quilts) because traditionally they were created with the really thin (narrow) strips many people throw away- calling them strings-
then others --- don't throw anything away- and started using them up----string quilts were born. :)
yours is WONDERFUL! - some of them wind up being very heavy quilts- i quilt for a lady who makes a number of them every year- they weigh a ton when quilted and bound! very heavy-warm quilts---she uses scrap muslin for foundations and stitches strips onto the foundation as narrow as 1/2"!!! i think the widest i've seen on her's was just over an inch- and she makes BIG quilts! they are so great!
great use of scraps :)

pattypurple 12-27-2011 05:15 PM

great first block. Love the bright colors. They are addicting

texpat45 12-27-2011 07:46 PM

OOOhh! That's going to be gorgeous!! Keep all the square up trimmings from those blocks to make crumb blocks!! I Have 8 in string blocks and 4 in & 6 in crumb blocks going at all times. Have fun!