Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm already tired of it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-already-tired-t266840.html)

faykilgore 06-25-2015 08:34 AM

I'm already tired of it!

2 Attachment(s)
I am about halfway through a SAS that I have had in the UFO stack for several years. I bought all the material, started one corner (the green blocks) and put it away for when I had "more time." It doesn't have a recipient, just me. I think they are beautiful and wanted to do one. Now I realize they are very repetitive, seriously demanding on accuracy, and require LOTS of pieces! This one is disappointing for 2 reasons, outside of the labor required. It's too white and the theme fabric is overwhelmed by the solid colored diamonds. Wish I'd reversed the fabrics. You can see the edge of the dark teal. There is a purple band between the dark teal and the dark blue. The dark blue is not spatially correct. It's actually the lower right hand corner. I know several of you have made this pattern. Any suggestions or encouragement at this stage?

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-25-2015 08:54 AM

WoW, that's really pretty -- if it were me and i learned enough lessons from it and i couldn't bring myself to finish it, i would make a wallhanging out of it OR it's off to the donation box!...LOL .....you're not alone -- i've got a STACK of UFOs!!! i've just forgotten where they are!

tessagin 06-25-2015 09:00 AM

I like it! Different from the other ones I've seen. I like repetition. It has a tendency to grow to almost perfect. Really like how it's turned out so far.

Onebyone 06-25-2015 09:16 AM

I have balled up a UFO before and threw it in a donation box and have never felt guilty about it. It sounds like it's time for you to do the same.

MaryKatherine 06-25-2015 09:16 AM

You could always complete it and then dye it?

Emma S 06-25-2015 09:49 AM

I think you are just too close to it. If you add a border in color to the quilt it wouldn't seem so "white". I think this quilt has a great potential. Another suggestion, have another project that you can switch when you get tired of working on this one. Hope you finish this one, I think it's beautiful.

huskyquilter 06-25-2015 09:55 AM

I think it's beautiful as well! I also think that you can plan your quilting to accent the focus fabric and really make it pop. I love the white and hope you decide to finish it. I think Emma is right... Maybe take a little break from it and work on something else until you can look at it with fresh eyes.

JustAbitCrazy 06-25-2015 09:56 AM

I think it's going to be gorgeous! I love the color change from top l corner to bottom r corner! Work on it bit by bit with other projects at the same time. I don't think you'll regret finishing it. We all get burned out like that, because quilts take so long to complete. I have 5 projects in the works right now, for that very reason.

feline fanatic 06-25-2015 09:58 AM

Are you saying the unfinished portion not on the design wall will be a purple? do you have enough of your focus fabric to replace the purple with that? I think it is beautiful so far and will be lovely if you complete it even with the purple. The white is a perfect canvas to show off some intense quilting.

Cheshirecatquilter 06-25-2015 09:59 AM

You could also ask if anyone on this board would like to have it to finish. I'd be first in line. I think it is lovely, but if you finish it and find you still don't like the color blend you could pick up some fabric paint or markers to add some interest to the solid patches to get the gradation the way you'd prefer. It should be easy, given the random pattern in your print patches.