Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm Burned Out.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-burned-out-t81468.html)

nativetexan 12-08-2010 12:45 PM

Yep, go make pot holders or something small. that should help you get sewing again.

Bluphrog 12-08-2010 12:57 PM

I've gone through it, too, so I just change directions. Instead of piecing by machine, I pick up an applique project, or sashiko, or redwork. I'll work on the new project until I feel the urge to machine piece again. The wonderful thing about this is that the project is waiting for me.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-08-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
Pull out your scraps and start sewing. Don't worry about colors etc. Before you know it you'll have a finished top. Quilt it and stick it in the car for emergencies. Sometimes the act of sewing is all you need to get out of the rutt.

I like this idea!! And yes, it happens to me also. You'll get back at it. Be kind to yourself! :D HUGS, Sue

pdcakm 12-08-2010 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I've gone through it, too, so I just change directions. Instead of piecing by machine, I pick up an applique project, or sashiko, or redwork. I'll work on the new project until I feel the urge to machine piece again. The wonderful thing about this is that the project is waiting for me.

this works for me too. sometimes feel i can't cut and sew for some reason. it's very therapeutic to sit with movie and do handwork. pretty soon i am itching to sew again.

don't pressure yourself about it, though. this can start a vicious circle. just have a cup of tea and listen to your heart.

"I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed." ~George Carlin

Gina_D 12-08-2010 01:36 PM

Don't sweat it - there are times for 'not quilting' & times for quilting. It will hit you when you're ready. Meanwhile, have a stress-less Christmas!

Numa 12-08-2010 01:44 PM

The last time I went to California, it took months to get back to normal. The kids would sing " She left her brain in San Francisco". LOL It will come back! Maybe you just need a break.

tweetee 12-08-2010 02:11 PM

Myself, when this happens to me, I just go with it. Dont frce yourself to quilt if you just dont feel like it because then your heart is not in it. I just wait for inspiration to grab me, and then there is no stopping me! I have just been through a stage where I didnt want to use the embridery machine for about 4 months, then suddenly last night I got inspired for a project. I plan to start it tonight after work!
Longest stage I ever had when I didnt even set foot in my sewing room was about 12 months. I just couldnt be bothered.

Dont worry, inspiration will grab you when you least exepect. The projects you are looking at may be lovely, but they are not inspiring you to quilt. Thats the way I see it. Sit back, relax and just enjoy until quilting inspires you again

hobo2000 12-08-2010 02:23 PM

I am in the same boat with you. BUT, last night I decided to make some bedsocks for my GD's. I made 5 pairs including a pair for me and I wore mine to bed and had happy feet all night. Tonight, I have cut out 6 pairs and suddenly its working. That creative spark is roaring into a full fledged bonfire. I just cut out a quilt. Start little and maybe it will work for you..Hugs.

retired2pa 12-08-2010 03:06 PM

Thanks everybody!!! You're the best :) I knew you'd understand and "hug" me and not scold me. I needed that :)

I have been too hard on myself because when I was making all those quilts I was going at full tilt but now that they're done and our trip is over, I'm feeling "blah" and tired.

I think I'll take ALL of the good advice from you gals and just go with the flow and not worry about it. I have some applique that's been sitting for a while so I think that would be a good "filler" while I'm watching TV or a movie with DH. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

auntmag 12-08-2010 05:13 PM

It happens to me every time I take a trip. It takes a while to get back in the groove.