Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm convinced, my machine hates cotton :'( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-convinced-my-machine-hates-cotton-t214081.html)

snipforfun 02-17-2013 07:05 PM

Try a topstitch needle. That is all I buy as recommended by Superior Threads. No more broken thread!

knlsmith 02-17-2013 07:16 PM

Yes, if your top is too tight you can have problems. If you reach under and can barely pinch the backing, then it should be good.

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney (Post 5868334)
Thanks ladies, I will try that King Tut brand thread. Where can you buy it and is it in large quantities? I am also starting my at home quilting business so yes thread breaking slows me up soo much I just don't have time for it. I have a size 90/14 needle, the kind my dealer recommended. Yes my spool is cross rolled so yep it is feeding from my top hook thing haha. Thread path is clear. I loosened my quilt on my frame, maybe its too tight would that cause thread to break? I'm going to try it more loose but I hate the chance of puckers but at the point I will try anything. Thanks so much ofr the advise I am going to try all of it! :)

debquilts2 02-17-2013 07:55 PM

try topstitch needles

nabobw 02-18-2013 05:56 AM

Never had that problem with mine and a larger needle will just leave a larger hole.

QM 02-18-2013 06:02 AM

Not a problem I have with mine. wrong thread? Star or Coats and Clark aren't very good these days, IMHIO. I use Signature or King Tut. Are you 'racing'? Maybe you need to slow down just a tad. How often do you change your needles? a needle that is dull or has a slight burr will mess up even very good thread.

quilter2090 02-18-2013 07:24 AM

Do you have the correct size of needle for your thread? If the needle eye is too small for the thread you are using, you will break your thread constantly. If you have PBS in your area, check out Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting series #2100,episode #2106,Fabulous Free Motion with Eric Drexler. He did a great job of explaining about needles. If it is playing in your area, you might want to watch it. It might be helpful.

reneaunoel 02-18-2013 07:55 AM

I had a similar issue with FMQ using my HV Sapphire. Took me almost a year of frustration and hair-pulling, finally realized I actually had an issue with the BOBBIN! The dealer fixed that in about 30 seconds (repair guys are such show offs! LOVE IT!) and I've had no more issues with thread breakage. I do make sure I change my needles regularly and I use a 90 for actual quilting. Recently purchased "super sharp" skinny needles to make my piecing lines straighter, but I wouldn't use that for quilting!

Might be worth having the technician where you purchased the machine look at it. And if any burrs are catching thread, they can fix that and help you prevent more!

Good luck. Don't give up, the chase is worth what you'll catch! SATISFACTION for a job WELL DONE!

KimS 02-18-2013 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by morelcabin (Post 5868322)
If your spools are cross threaded they need to be spooling from the top. If it is a straight wound spool (like coats and clark) it would work standing up on a spool holder and unwinding from the side. Maybe that is what you are having trouble with. Look up thread delivery on google and you'll see what I mean. I just learned this recently and it has made a HUGE difference for me...no more broken thread. The size of needle you are using will make a difference too

Did not know this but do now! Thanks!!! :)

DOTTYMO 02-18-2013 09:19 AM

I have the same machine and never had the problem. It sounds as if you are not matching thread with needle size. I have the problem you have when hand stitching with a cotton thread and it is usually solved by a larger eye which I hate as the needle is usually larger as well.

QuiltingByCourtney 02-18-2013 01:12 PM

I have I just checked my bobbin tension and got that set. I also just put in a topstitch 90/14 needle and it will only snap thread when I go right to left passes. I am going to pick up some larger needles like size 18tomorrow. I have used signature thread from superior and it snaps that too going in the right to left passes along the width of my quilt. I check my bobbin carriage for lint as well, that was clean. I hope I get this figured out soon or I will be bald! haha