Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm convinced, my machine hates cotton :'( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-convinced-my-machine-hates-cotton-t214081.html)

QuiltingByCourtney 02-20-2013 05:25 PM

IT'S FIXED!!! YIPPIE! I'M SOO EXCITED!!! I took your advise and got a Universal needle size 110/18 and it works!! I can quilt any way I want and however fast I want and it didn't snap once! I finished quilting my quilt, and I will post pictures soon! I also cleaned and oiled my machine because it did start to squeak a bit, and now it runs smooth and no thread breakage!!! :) Thanks everyone for all your help, I could not have done it without all your help!!! This board is great!

amyjo 02-20-2013 05:31 PM

was just down in the Fargo area twice in the past two weeks. Sure was a nasty one each time for the roads. Glad you got your machine to work. This week end I hope to pull out my Rose. I want to go to this auction sale on Sunday tho. So all depends on weather and how well it goes.

Prism99 02-20-2013 08:57 PM

SOOOO happy you got your machine working properly!!! Whoo-hooo!!! :thumbup:

Leonita 02-22-2013 03:48 PM

I have that machine & do quite well with 14 or 16 needle. I had problems with "cheap" poly batting I bought for laprobes. Only had one thread that didn't work. We did switch to titanium needles.

QuiltingByCourtney 02-25-2013 11:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally Finished it! Here are a few pictures! My brother loved it! :) I did all the quilting FMQ on my Grace frame. It is a twin size quilt for his couch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]397881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]397882[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]397883[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]397884[/ATTACH]

Wardy74 04-22-2013 11:24 PM

I just read the whole thread. I used my Janome 1600p for the first time yesterday on my grace frame and had no end of troubles. I managed to sort out a few but had major problems with thread snapping. It does not like Guterman I discovered, it seems to prefer YLI thread. I tried the 18 needle to start with .I am going to take my first attempt off and reload using 100% cotton wadding today to see if that makes a difference. I may try the spritzing as well. Thank you so much for all the tips. I am going to type them out and laminate them and hang them on my machine to save my hair going any whiter.

QM 04-23-2013 12:34 AM

I bought the same machine. It does require regular cleaning/oiling and good quality thread. I use Superior, which is all my guild uses on our LA. How often do you change needles? When I had a problem, DH found that I had a tiny burr on my embroidery foot (my fault). He used emory cloth to get rid of the burr. I have switched to platinum needles. They last longer. Use the correct size for the project.

Nanatoone 07-21-2015 12:34 PM

I have this same machine and I have always used Isocord embroidery thread and never had problems with breakage. my machine started doing this a few weeks ago. break and shred. i took it into the shop and they told me it was sewing fine, of course they didn't have it on a frame. after ripping out 9 rows that had skipped stitches broke threads I decided it must be my Sure Stitch regulator so today i unpluged the cords going to the box and left it off about 20 seconds pluged it back in and sewed 4 rows and it never broke a thread or skipped any stitches. sometime it would break three or four times before i got one row.I was ready to give up on my Isacord thread as it is very fine and i thought it was the problem was my thread. wish i had reset my Sure stitch before i had ripped out so many rows.

Melanie Rudy 07-21-2015 05:07 PM

With my janome I always have to make sure I change the needle often. As long as it has a sharp needle it does not break thread, otherwise it does. I always put a new needle in when I piece a quilt and another new one when I quilt it. Lots of needles and all is well. I do not have to do this with my pfaff.

Honchey 07-21-2015 05:19 PM

Serger thread is for sergers...the thread is not as smooth as thread meant for quilting...You may get away with using it but consider if it's for a quilt that will be washed many times as opposed to a hanging quilt..