Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-new-embroidery-quilting-would-like-advice-before-i-start-my-quilt-top-t203377.html)

Rhonda Lee 10-16-2012 10:56 AM

I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top.

I have a Baby Lock Ellisimo and have pieced and quilted a number of quilts and things on this fine machine. I have used the embroidery part to do a lot of stuff but not quilting. I've pieced a queen size quilt top and would like to utilize the embroidery feature for quilting. I have not sewn the blocks together yet, but they are ready and waiting. I'm somewhat intimidated at this stage of the game at the task ahead of me. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thank you.

QuiltnNan 10-16-2012 11:20 AM

as long as you have not sewn the blocks together yet, then quilt as you go should be considered. once you have that entire top together, it has to be well-supported to embroider your quilting. and it still has to 'bunch up' into the harp/arm. i only use mine for quilting small projects. but i'd love to try a a QAYG

cmilton 10-16-2012 11:44 AM

I would quilt each block with the embroidery machine and then connect the blocks.

Rhonda Lee 10-16-2012 01:55 PM

This is why I haven't sewn the blocks together yet, thinking each one could be embroidered separately. The blocks are large, 15 1/2 x 20, 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 and 15 1/2 x 3. 12 are regular patterned pieced blocks, the rest are strips sewn together to form a block, 6 large and 6 smaller blocks.

ckcowl 10-16-2012 02:45 PM

choose a fairly (open) embroidery design- heavy stitch designs will pull up the fabric and really skew the blocks.
i would put together a small (maybe a 12" block) practice sandwich and try it out before commiting to your quilt blocks.

Rhonda Lee 10-16-2012 09:08 PM

Thank you for your replies. I wish I felt more confident about this, I just don't want to mess up a years worth of work.

nabobw 10-17-2012 03:28 AM

I use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts and I do it after the quilt is put together. You can get a contiguous design going that way.

Rhonda Lee 10-17-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw (Post 5591448)
I use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts and I do it after the quilt is put together. You can get a contiguous design going that way.

I would love to learn how to use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts. That was the reason I bought it in the first place. Would you explain how you do it? I know I could do each block separately but that defeats the whole purpose.

romanojg 10-17-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee (Post 5591256)
Thank you for your replies. I wish I felt more confident about this, I just don't want to mess up a years worth of work.

This is why you should do a practice piece first. You can always give it to the kids to play with if its not good. Make a sandwich of two pieces of fabric and the same batting you'll be using; then just try. The worst case you mess it up and end up with a doll quilt or potholder, etc

labug 10-17-2012 07:17 AM

I did make one, but I had it together when I quilted it