Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm new and I am trying free motion quilting... with problems... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-new-i-am-trying-free-motion-quilting-problems-t54209.html)

ktbb 07-13-2010 08:20 AM

Elayne, on your side view photo it appears that the foot is not fully seated on the arm coming out of the machine. If you look at the part where the screw is inserted, you should be able to see that the part of the foot held by the screw is farther away from the "Post" at the top than at the bottom. This results in the foot part not being parallel with the surface of the machine. Can you see what I'm talking about? Resetting that so that the foot rests snugly against the post may change part of the problem with your foot sitting so high...

I noticed that the feed dogs are up and in place in the photos and should be down for FMQ...but you indicated that you knew the difference so guess you put the foot on just for photos.

ktbb 07-13-2010 08:24 AM

I meant to mention that if you're going to try another generic foot I really like on called the "Big Foot". It has a much larger plastic foot piece to cover more area of the fabric and is slightly dome shaped/curved so the curve part is on the bottom and helps smooth the top fabric of a sandwich out so you/I have less chance of puckers or twists in the fabric. It also does not catch on pins like the really small feet do. I've found it at several LQSs but it's also online...I think Nancy's Notions has it, but haven't seen it at Joanns.

twinstitches 07-13-2010 08:30 AM

Hello There,

I think I know what your saying and I checked it. It is still sitting in the same position as when I took the pic and the darning foot arm is resting on the screw for the needle and it is still sitting a little slanted. I can't pull the darning arm towards me anymore, it's as far as it can go. Is this what you meant? I will take all the help I can get. I have a weird feeling a got a defective one.

Sewslow 07-13-2010 08:34 AM

It was hard to see where I was going with the darning foot which came with my Janome MC4800. I ordered an open-toe darning foot very reasonably from:

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewing-feet.php

and it made a great difference. (I'm still not perfect, but much better at FMQ.) Their site shows you, with pictures, what kind of presser feet you need and if you still have questions, they were very helpful to me by phone. I have now ordered four different presser feet for little more than the local dealer wanted for one.

twinstitches 07-13-2010 08:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a new pic with the shank screw tightened and when I manually lower the needle the darning foot still stays 1/4" above the plate. It doesn't lower at all.

Here is the needle when lowered, the darning arm stays put. See U on my computer behind my threader! Wave!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77670[/ATTACH]

Beebee 07-13-2010 08:53 AM

Iam trying different things also, to learn how to machine quilt. I learned that the pressure on the pressure foot needs to be adjusted. That usually is round and on top of the machine and you have to use your screw driver that came with the machine to loosen it. Also, I have tried with a walking foot and a darning foot. I seem to have the same results. I will be watching this topic page with great interest as I also want to know how. Lots of luck

ktbb 07-13-2010 09:13 AM

You caught the angled foot I was trying to describe.

Sewslow mentioned the site where she got her foot so I looked up ones supposedly for Singer ...link below...and that foot looks almost exactly like the one you have (and only 10 dollars). I guess you've tried about everything that you can, so if possible, buy a different one with a spring and see if it makes a difference. AGain, I like Big Foot, but there are many out there.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/si...t-161876-p.php

Corry 07-13-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by twinstitches
Hello Everybody!

I am very new to free motion quilting and very interested. It looks beautiful and like a very fun art I'd like to try. I've research, watched, read, etc, etc but I am stuck. I finally got my embroidery foot but I can't seem to make things work. I have a Singer Ingenuity 7436 and I got my darning foot on Ebay. I found out from Singer they don't make a darning foot for my machine so I had to get a generic one. Even though the one I got said it was for my machine I think it's wrong. Here is what is happening...

I drop my feed dogs, set my stitch length to zero, start the first stitch, pull up my bobbin thread and hold it, then I try to make a few stitches and nothing takes. The machine acts like there is no fabric there, no stitches are formed. My machine does a great job of punching holes through my fabric sandwich but not a single stitch catches the bobbin thread. I have tried different threads, changed my tension, and used different needles. I am working with a 100% cotton fabric sandwich (cotton-batting-cotton), not on any projects. I though I should practice first before I try to make something.

I have done a bit more research today and I think I know the problem but I wanted to ask you ladies first. My embroidery/darning foot sits about 1/4" above my fabric and does not have a spring that goes up and down. Could this be my problem??? It seams the foot stays 1/4" above the fabric the whole time I am trying to sew. This in turn makes my fabric come up a little while I am trying to sew. Where does your darning foot sit while you are sewing/stippling???

Thank You!
Elayne

I have several Singer machines and have started to do FMQ with my Singer. I tried using my darning/embroidery foot and had the same problem as you did. So I bought the foot you will see at this link and I can freemotion really well with my Singer now. Someone else sent in this link but it happened to be the same foot that I purchased.

http://www.sewingstyle.com/viewproduct7d29-2.html

Joeysnana 07-13-2010 09:17 AM

I have a Singer Curvy and it came with a darning foot that has a spring on it.

Donna Mae 07-13-2010 10:32 AM

way to go Cory practice sandwich is good!!! I've not even tried this procedure yet. I do straight line grids.

Good to see you,

Your neighboor down the road a piece,
Donna Mae
simple quilter