Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm new and need some help with a French braid quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-new-need-some-help-french-braid-quilt-t271981.html)

AngelaS 11-09-2015 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso (Post 7371334)
AngelaS. so, you ripped it apart. go from there. and if this is one of your first quilts. do the best you can and don't worry about it. the first one is never perfect. I kept reading the thread, to see whateveryone was saying..... they all gave you good advice., BUT JUST GET the first one or two DONE. to the best of your ability. once sandwiched, and quilted, even if not perfect, they look a lot better than you are thinking they will.

thanks for the encouragement. :) this isn't my first quilt, it's about number 16 or so. This may be the most frustrating tho! I'm just to finish this one so I can start something new. I'm trying hard to finish one before moving on to the next one. Battling my crafting ADD isn't easy. ;)

Pam H 11-09-2015 07:27 PM

I just made 2 braid table runners. They were both so wonky! Bias edges are so difficult. I think my main problem is that I got lazy and didn't measure and cut my borders....I just sewed it on and then trimmed. I didn't even think about the bias edges. I ended up spraying them with Best Press (soaking wet) and pressed and steamed the heck out of them. They don't look too bad now after quilting and binding. I hope they sell at the craft fair so I don't have to look at them anymore.
Good luck with yours, AngelaS. Be sure to cut your sashing strips to size and use a lot of pins when sewing them on.

quiltinghere 11-10-2015 05:50 AM

It doesn't look like you've pressed the connecting seams between the rows of braids. In the picture things are not pressed and flat and that may affect how the quilt looks when folded.

Did you measure the quilt dimensions in several places? Width and length? What are those measurements? How much are they off? I'd press the top and then measure in 3 places in each direction.

Some variations can be quilted out and squared up if quilted on a longarm.

Nancy

quiltmouse 11-10-2015 12:30 PM

[[my post: Right half of col #2 has 16 pieces..Left half of col #3 has 15 pieces]]]

Originally Posted by AngelaS (Post 7371776)
Theyre all like that. :). I ran out of strips. Poorly written tutorial....

It'll work. I have to whack off the points so they'll even out.

But wouldn't that be why you have a twist? If they are not equal, they are two different lengths.

Just say your 45* measurement across your individual block is 2"

2 x 15 = 30
2 x 16 = 32

You have 32 inches of fabric squeezed to match 30 inches. That's why you are twisting.

If you don't want to rip all those column seams, just rotary cut off your seam. Put it back together, matching your seams and number of strips, and take off the extras.

(do as you wish, I always come off bossy, not intending to.) :)

IBQUILTIN 11-11-2015 02:24 PM

I would take apart the rows of braid, then sew them back together doing the first row in one direction, the second one opposite, etc. That may help

Buckeye Rose 11-11-2015 07:07 PM

Sashing won't help if you have differing numbers of braid strips in the columns....even out the numbers and you will get better results....then as you sew the columns be sure to match seams.

DOTTYMO 11-11-2015 11:54 PM

If you look carefully at the joining seams the diagonals seams are not matching up in some places. This could be the problem.