Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-not-criticizing-my-quilting-skills-anymore-t87271.html)

Sassylass 04-10-2011 11:39 AM

All the "imperfections" in a quilt make it yours..no one else can say that they can do the same thing.

First of all have fun with what your doing..remember no quilt police.

Second, no one can out do you when you have put all that time and YOUR love into a quilt.
sass

TonnieLoree 04-10-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
seems like we are our own worst critics....I don't ever point out my flaws to others ... and most times they don't seem them...I love that!

That is what my honey says to me as I'm fuming because it is not perfect.

pittsburgpam 04-10-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by scraphq
My Mother, also a quiltmaker, always said the imperfections where there in case she would ever have to identify one of her quilts!

What I have done is do something that I can identify the quilt and take a picture of it. Put the picture in a safe place. It might be as simple as a certain quilt stitch in a certain place that is identifyable or a picture of a tiny imperfection that no one else would ever notice.

I've also read of putting your name on the inside of the binding in a certain place (take a picture so you know where it is). Then if there is ever a question you can unstitch it and prove it is yours.

LivelyLady 04-10-2011 02:02 PM

That's a healthy attitude that I will gladly adopt too.

LivelyLady 04-10-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam

Originally Posted by scraphq
My Mother, also a quiltmaker, always said the imperfections where there in case she would ever have to identify one of her quilts!

What I have done is do something that I can identify the quilt and take a picture of it. Put the picture in a safe place. It might be as simple as a certain quilt stitch in a certain place that is identifyable or a picture of a tiny imperfection that no one else would ever notice.

I've also read of putting your name on the inside of the binding in a certain place (take a picture so you know where it is). Then if there is ever a question you can unstitch it and prove it is yours.

Great idea!

annieshane 04-10-2011 02:19 PM

I have noticed something similar on the binding of a quilt in one of my new magazines. Makes me realize not to take myself so seriously. Enjoy the process and be proud of your accomplishments.

michelehuston 04-10-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
seems like we are our own worst critics....

This is the most true statement I have heard (read) in a long time. We also dont give ourselves enough credit! :roll:

Irene Frohreich 04-10-2011 03:52 PM

Gave up on trying to be a perfect quilter when I learned that the Amish put a mistake into their quilts, they are always so beautiful. Will adopt the attitude too.

EagarBeez 04-10-2011 04:16 PM

I used to strive for perfection and would pull stitches out over and over. I wrote to this group, and found that if you can't see your mistakes riding by on a horse, to leave it. No one is perfect but, the good Lord Now I relax, and enjoy myself. I am so much happier

Bobbielinks 04-10-2011 04:21 PM

Yes, let's just enjoy what we do. Some days we do better than other days. But who will know, unless we tell them. Always do your best, maybe not perfect, but it will be beautiful. Goodness knows that I make a lot of mistakes, but boy do I have fun!