Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm not too fussy about backing fabric--R U? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-not-too-fussy-about-backing-fabric-r-u-t47616.html)

fabric-holic 05-30-2010 05:16 AM

I grew up with handmade quilts from the 1920s and '30s and the backs were pieced together just like the tops.
So I don't get upset if I have to piece my backings, even if it's with non-matching fabric.
Granted, I don't make quilts to be judged. If I did I would, of course, be more careful about it.
But I overheard a lady at my LQS saying how she didn't buy enough of her backing fabric, and was having trouble finding more, etc. (I don't know if she make quilts for judging.)
But it got me thinking if I'm too casual about my quilt backings?
How about the rest of you?
Do you panic if your backing on non-judging quilts can't be all the same fabric?

Boston1954 05-30-2010 05:24 AM

No I don't. I am working on one right now that has 3 pieces. Now I did try a bit for it to conform to the front. The front is lots of tans and browns. The back is two pieces of dark brown with light tan between. From a distance it might look like an Oreo cookie.

I just don't get that exited about the backs because I am not making these to be judged by anyone. (I entered a show one time, and no more). They are to leave to my family. I have a system wherein they will draw numbers from a bowl and that will determine which quilt they will get. I want it to be fair.

sewcrafty 05-30-2010 05:25 AM

I've never pieced a backing, just used one fabric. Now, that's not saying I'll never do it in the future. In fact, having the backside different from the front is appealing.

watterstide 05-30-2010 05:32 AM

i don't worry about them either, i try to use left over pieces from the front into the back..mixed with white muslin, or whatever i have on had.

i do use matching fabric for the backs of babys quilts..

i can't afford to use the wide backs or regular fabric to use on the backs..some take 5 or 6 yards..too much money.
muslin works just fine..

Cathie_R 05-30-2010 05:35 AM

I use a wide width muslin on the back. I hand quilt and find my stitches show much better on a plain muslin back. I don't care for the printed fabric on the back because the quilting pattern and stitches get lost.

Holice 05-30-2010 05:36 AM

No I don't. However, I try to use wide backing so I won't have to piece it. I am working on a quilt now that is about 48"x60" and the fabric I bought for the back is 45". I plan on using fabric from the front and piece a row of squares and will split the 45" and add the row in the center. I may cut strips and cut them in half and sew together for the center back.

Boston1954 05-30-2010 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cathie_R
I use a wide width muslin on the back. I hand quilt and find my stitches show much better on a plain muslin back. I don't care for the printed fabric on the back because the quilting pattern and stitches get lost.

Considering what my stitches look like, I think I would prefer it.
:lol:

amma 05-30-2010 05:40 AM

I have pieced the backs and thought they looked very nice :D:D:D

ghostrider 05-30-2010 05:48 AM

Show quilt or not, I'm just as fussy about the backing as I am about the front. It only makes sense to me to care enough to do my very best on the whole quilt, not just on the front of it. My backs are always pieced, but in a design of some sort like a repeat of the border design or seminole piecing running top to bottom in one or more strips and it always coordinates with the front.

quiltinghere 05-30-2010 05:55 AM

Non-experience speaking here:

I wouldn't mind piecing the fabric to cover a wider quilt. Wouldn't even mind using different fabrics but the would have to coordinate somehow with the front.

I was thinking along the lines of what Boston1954 - fabric split by blocks made from leftover fabric from the front. We know we almost always have some kind of fabric left over.