Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm only admitting this because..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-only-admitting-because-t122187.html)

klgreene 05-10-2011 02:15 PM

I have been quilting since the 80's, but back then it was all hand quilting. So about a year and a half ago, I started machine quilting. I used my machine to make valances, little things like that. But since I've started quilting, I have been having so much trouble with my stitches. When I set it for 4 I want that stitch, not a 0. When I started quilting I took my machine apart, oiled it .....and thought I cleaned it out pretty good. NOT!!! Today I was fed up and about ready to throw the machine out the window. But I really just can't afford a new one right now. So I decided to take that old baby and take her apart. I cleaned, I oiled, I did everything I thought of......then I looked closer at my feed dogs. I know they don't drop. BUT....I don't think I've ever cleaned them out properly. Chunks of gunk came out. I polished those babies up. And now she purrs like my new kitten. And I actually get a #4 stitch when I set it to #4. I sure wish I would have been a little smarter a year ago. I've done so much quilting and have not been thrilled with any of the quilting, even though I can only do SITD or a 1/4 in from seam, and a few other ditties, but it would have made so much of a difference, so not that I want to tell everyone I'm an idiot, but I know a couple people have posted on here what seemed exactly like my problem, so when you oil and clean, but sure you get all the gunk out of the feed dogs. I hang my head for my ignorance, but doing the happy dance because I don't need to spend any money on a new machine.

SherriB 05-10-2011 02:18 PM

Don't you just love it when you can fix some thing yourself!!! Good for you!! I wish I could take my Janome apart and clean the dust bunnies out. I clean her the best I can and always clean the feed dogs.

Maia B 05-10-2011 02:18 PM

Thx for posting! I'm sure this is common, and you've saved someone aggravation and/or big bucks.

irishrose 05-10-2011 02:20 PM

The Singer 301 I purchased on ebay was supposed to be cleaned and ready to sew. I cleaned years of compressed lint out of the feed dogs. Our machines are both happy now. Good save.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-10-2011 02:21 PM

I agree with Maia, thank you!!!!!!!!!
Happy quilting ...........now :D:D

gunny148 05-10-2011 02:22 PM

Feed dogs and bobbin caseings they can stop a train..or quilting...

scowlkat 05-10-2011 02:25 PM

Isn't it amazing what we can do necessity arises! So glad you were able to fix your problem and can enjoy your machine again.

2000HD 05-10-2011 02:27 PM

Thanks for the lesson!

BrendaK 05-10-2011 02:34 PM

:oops: OK Here comes the dumb question. How DO you clean the feed dogs? I don't think that my machine has ever been taken apart and cleaned or oiled. I do clean around the bobbin and try to blow when I think there is fuzz. But............ I was told that it's not good to blow on the machine. When you blow you just push things in those private places (on the machine) that you can't get at. At this time I can't afford to take my machine into a professional. I only have the one machine and I sure don't want her to get sick. I think that she works fine and I don't want to do anything that will give her a problem. Is there a special oil you are supposed to use? Thanks and please don't think bad of me for not yet doing preventive care. I will be waiting to read you answers. Brenda

Dingle 05-10-2011 02:35 PM

I knew about cleaning the bobbin case and such but didn't give the feed dogs a second thought until I read about it on here. Took my plate off and holy cow. Sis didn't know about that either so I clued her in. Now both of us make sure that gets done too. Now you should enjoy quilting on a machine alot more now. :thumbup: