Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm ready to give up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-ready-give-up-t267331.html)

josieh 07-07-2015 01:46 PM

I'm ready to give up

It seems as though I get worse the longer I sew. I am a senior citizen who was introduced to sewing in the 7th grade. Over the years I have purchased newer fancier machines but the items I make don't always turn out right. I just made a doll blanket. I cut 2 inch squares, and made half square triangles. I cut them down to 1 1/2 inches because I wanted 1 inch squares in the quilt. The squares are all smaller than 1 inch. What did I do wrong? Why doesn't anything turn out right anymore? I'm ready to quit sewing.

quiltsRfun 07-07-2015 01:55 PM

Have you checked to make sure your seam allowance is 1/4 inch or possibly a scant 1/4 inch?

donnajean 07-07-2015 01:56 PM

I feel your pain. I think I started to sew doll clothes in grade school I was making lined suits in 7th grade. I am also a senior citizen. I had take a break from quilting, but made a Disappearing 9 patch quilt on the 4th of July because it was too hot to go outside. My 1st block came out too small, so I had to adjust my seam allowance. Always measure that 1st block to check on your seam. Take a bread, but don't give up on sewing. I have not worked with triangles lately, but I think the triangles would have to be bigger than 1 1/2" to end up with squares. I don't remember the formula for half square triangles.

Tartan 07-07-2015 01:56 PM

Sounds like your 1/4 inch seam is not correct. Also try Aurifil thread for a smaller fold over.

QuiltingHaven 07-07-2015 02:02 PM

Okay, when you sewed the two inch squares? Did you draw a line from corner to corner and then sewed the seam 1/4" away from the line that you drew? Then did you use one of the rulers to measure the exact size of the square plus that extra 1/4" so that when you were done, you should have had a 1 1/2" and then when you sewed in 1/4" all the way around you would have a 1 inch block. I would cut 2 1/2" blocks to start with and then you can measure them when you are done and will have the size you need. Just my thoughts.....

mike'sgirl 07-07-2015 02:27 PM

I feel your pain. It's seems whatever I sew, I'm ripping at least half off it out. I'm still working on cutting accurately, and getting my 1/4" seam allowance right. I get frustrated too,but I figure I can't get any worse, lol. Hopefully I will be able to rival the beautiful work shown here. Don't give up. Try to have fun, and don't let mistakes get you down. I won't if you won't. (((Hugs))) Gina

dfelker 07-07-2015 02:31 PM

We need to remember that we are human and hand made doesn't always mean precise. I am learning and have found that practice and my seam ripper are my best friends. :)

Becky's Crafts 07-07-2015 02:41 PM

Josieh, have you tried cutting thing a bit bigger and then trimming down? Sometimes that works better for me too!

margied 07-07-2015 02:57 PM

As another senior - I feel your pain!!! I feel the same way some of the time but don't give up. Even when it turns out different then what we planned, it still looks pretty good. I decided since I had the time, to go slower, measure twice as they say, then take what I get and make 'lemonade' out of it.

I've noticed that the longer I am retired, the less self-confidence I have and I'm determined to get passed that.

IQ2 07-07-2015 02:58 PM

I'm working on a small-scale quilt right now, with 1 1/2" HST's that finish at 1". The book I'm using recommends 60-weight thread as Tartan suggested above, and also to press the seams OPEN, and cut them (with small shears) down to a generous 1/8". This removes a lot of the bulk that probably is pulling in the finished size.