Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm scared of binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-scared-binding-t122231.html)

Renee110 05-10-2011 06:48 PM

I have finished my first quilt...a king size...handquilted. Now it's time for the binding which I'm scared to start. It's just so big, and I did make a wallhanging that was 25 x 25 and I messed up the binding on that. My corners weren't pretty, it was kinda warped and there was even a 2 inch spot that the machine didn't catch, and I had to re-do that. So I have been putting off starting the binding for over a week. I kinda wish I had left enough backing to bring to the front.

Treasureit 05-10-2011 06:50 PM

Try try again! Google some tutorials on making bindings...I found a lot of help for those corners.

Grama Lehr 05-10-2011 06:51 PM

You hand quilt a KING SIZE QUILT, and you are scared of the binding??
Girlfriend, you are nearly done, bite the bullet, read some of the tutorials, view some You tubes and get it done!!! ;)

Renee110 05-10-2011 06:54 PM

I've watched Sharon Schamber's binding video, which also scared me. It just seems to me that trying to glue and iron 110 feet of binding to a king size quilt will be almost impossible. I just have a regular ironing board.

ann31039 05-10-2011 07:00 PM

I too was terrified of binding, but I tried Sharon's way. It really is easier. The glue binding is great. It really isn't going anywhere once it's glued. My miters came out really well and the binding looks really good. Don't be nervous about it. After all, you just done a KING size quilt. That really terrifies me!!

Don't try to use your ironing board for this. Throw a blanket over your table. It'll make it easier.

Dina 05-10-2011 07:02 PM

If you can hand quilt a king sized quilt, you can certainly do this! Take a deep breathe and go for it. (Perfect corners are highly overrated anyway...)

earthwalker 05-10-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
You hand quilt a KING SIZE QUILT, and you are scared of the binding??
Girlfriend, you are nearly done, bite the bullet, read some of the tutorials, view some You tubes and get it done!!! ;)

My sentiments exactly....you've done amazingly well, so just go for it. If you get stuck we will be here to help you out.

jaciqltznok 05-10-2011 07:07 PM

oh my...I hear ya..it can be intimidating on such a large quilt...BUT...make you a practice sandwich...pillow size (16") and just baste it all on...paying close attention to how you lay those corners....

if it works you have a visual reference..if it is still ugly, pull the threads and go again til it does work....you CAN do this....corners are my down fall...I have finally learned to cut some of the batting out on the edges before trying to miter my corners!

NanaCsews2 05-10-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I've watched Sharon Schamber's binding video, which also scared me. It just seems to me that trying to glue and iron 110 feet of binding to a king size quilt will be almost impossible. I just have a regular ironing board.

You'll get it. Just takes a little practice. Practice on small quilted squares. I learned from Nancy Zeimen, Sharon Schamber, and Missouri Quilt Co tutorials. Went over them again and again and it finally clicked! The corners get very easy as long as you remember to sew up to 1/4" from edge, do the angle, flip up, flip down. (shown in any tutorial on binding) A binding tool is very helpful to piece the ends together. With a King sized quilt, I would sew the binding to the front, fold over then hand stitch the back binding using a blind stitch.

Jerudy 05-10-2011 07:09 PM

Can someone list the link to Sharon's binding video?

Thanks