Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm seriously considering an embroidery machine....is a Janome 350E a good one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-seriously-considering-embroidery-machine-janome-350e-good-one-t178956.html)

justflyingin 02-11-2012 06:57 AM

I'm seriously considering an embroidery machine....is a Janome 350E a good one?

I've always loved embroidery and never considered seriously that I could get one. Now, I've seen it here for within my budget for such a machine.

Is it really easy to use? I have a spot for a second machine so it could be working while I work using my Janome 7700 on other sewing/quilting. Is the thread expensive? Is it picky about the thread. I've seen embroidery thread on ebay for "not too expensive." Can you use any thread or do you have to buy a special kind? I had heard that the embroidery thread was quite expensive.

Is it hard to learn to use by adding other things like fonts or pictures/designs? I guess I'd always figured I'd never be able to afford such a nice machine--and I've always loved embroidery--always I admire everyone's embroidered purses, blouses, etc.

And one last question, would the Janome 350E be considered an entry level machine? If so, why? Do you tend to "outgrow" your machines and want what? A larger embroidery surface?

I'm eager for any specific comments.

Up North 02-11-2012 07:08 AM

I have a Brother SE350 it only has a 4 inch hoop but the prices are now down on some that also connect to your computer. I was using it within a half hour after it was out of the box. Very easy to use. Mine will use any thread I feed it I do use bottom line on the bobbin. So far 4 inches has worked for what I want to do. I have downloaded tons of free designs off the internet. I have no experience with the Janome machines. Have fun and read the reviews on the machines before you choose.

justflyingin 02-11-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Up North (Post 4964412)
I have a Brother SE350 it only has a 4 inch hoop but the prices are now down on some that also connect to your computer. I was using it within a half hour after it was out of the box. Very easy to use. Mine will use any thread I feed it I do use bottom line on the bobbin. So far 4 inches has worked for what I want to do. I have downloaded tons of free designs off the internet. I have no experience with the Janome machines. Have fun and read the reviews on the machines before you choose.

Thank you. I will read about each one. Since I'm in Poland, often the prices are "out of range" for me, but somehow the Janome 7700 was cheaper in Poland than I see people paying in the states, and it almost seems like the 350 is the same. However, I will check out yours and see if it is available here.

Up North 02-11-2012 07:19 AM

I had to purchase te PED basic to download from the computer look for one that connects directly to your computer.

lvaughan 02-11-2012 10:39 AM

I have the Janome 350e, bought it about 18 months ago. I had a Bernina 730 previously with embroidery that was my first use of an embroidery machine. I loved the embroidery more than the sewing, (I like the 5mm feed-dogs better than 9), so sold it and used the money to buy the Janome. First of all I really miss the embroidery of the 730, it was easy and did a wonderful job. I like the Janome but have had a few problems with bobbin blobs of thread that tear holes in my fabric. I took the machine in for service twice and they couldn't find any problems. My machine does seem to like certain threads more than others, doesn't like the coats embroidery thread I got at Wal-Mart at all. I would have to sit and watch my machine through the stitch-out to catch problems, definitely can't get up and leave the room. So, while sitting and watching it one day I noticed that when it stopped and the thread cutter engaged that the thread jumped and got a loop in it about one inch long. I think that when that happened that the thread was getting a knot and when the thread went through the tension it was getting stuck and causing the bobbin problem. I now watch for the thread jump and pull the thread out a couple inches every time I have a stop. Another thing my sister suggested to me recently, she has the Janome 300e, is using the Schemtz embroidery needles with the red dot. She embroiders daily and had some of the same thread bobbin jams and said that when she switched to the red dot embroidery needles she quit having problems. I have done a few zippered tissue cases since she made that suggestion and had one glitch, it didn't ruin my project though.

I don't know if this will help you make a decision about buying a Janome 350e. If I were buying again I would look at the Brother 770. For the price difference, they both have 5x7 hoops and USB ports I would probably go with the Brother.

mighty 02-11-2012 11:32 AM

I have the Husvarna +1, designer, and diamond. Use 5d embroidery software and I just love them.

kamaiarigby 02-11-2012 11:37 AM

I have the Janome 300, it is a wonderful machine and takes all makes of thread. I love the fact that I can Embroider and sew at the same time. I use Embird software which is easy to use, but I do have to put my designs onto cards then into the machine, I have a number of cards. So have my designs handy at all times. I do have the large hoop but the only time I have used it is to embroider clocks.

Nanamoms 02-11-2012 01:07 PM

I have 2 Brother machines and love them both. I did outgrow the 4x4 hoop rather quickly. I also like using the USB connection to transfer designs from computer. I use Monogram Wizard Extended and Sew What Pro for my software. Inexpensive and works well. You do need to use embroidery thread but it is not any more expensive than a good poly general sewing thread. I watch for sales. I also buy from MetroEM and love their thread. Great prices!

Good luck with your search!

PS: Both my Brother machines were refurbished ones...saved about $100 on each...and since they have been factory refurbished, they run like new but with any kinks worked out. Just FYI

BellaBoo 02-11-2012 01:25 PM

A lot of guild members have the very expensive Brother or Bernina embroidery machines. I hear them discussing threads and designs a lot. I don't have one but I know from them not to use rayon thread of any brand. Use the best stabilizer that isn't stiff or makes the design stiff. They go in together to buy rolls of the stabilizer. I got tickled with another guild member who said Have you noticed the members that have the top of the line new machines are the ones that are now widowed? My friend has the Walmart Disney Brother and it does a really nice job. She does embroidery to sell using it.

justflyingin 02-12-2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4965516)
I got tickled with another guild member who said Have you noticed the members that have the top of the line new machines are the ones that are now widowed?

Actually I'm not surprised.