Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm in Shock!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-shock-t145944.html)

Sunnye 08-18-2011 05:27 AM

My favorite shop told me in early spring prices would go up in August due to rising cotton prices. (How do they know in advance?)

Weenween 08-18-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
WHY?!?!?!?! Why are they doing this to us?!?!?!?! I've noticed prices spiking and fewer and fewer good sales! WHY?!?!?!?

Okay, the screaming demon is out now....

BECAUSE OF THE COTTON GROWING STATES THE DROUGHT IS TAKING A TOLE ON EVERYTHING THAT IS MADE OUT OF COTTON,I HEARD THIS ON THE NEWS HERE IN GOOD OL KY.

auntmarie 08-18-2011 05:50 AM

no!No!No!!!!!!!
Buy on-line.
quiltinaday.com
connectin threads.com
all have beautiful sales and fabric!
Even with postage, there a great bargan.

BessVA 08-18-2011 05:55 AM

Buying Tip: When shopping for fabric, check to see if there is more than one bolt of the desired fabric...the old bolt will have a lower price than the new bolt of the same fabric. This first happened to me recently and the store gave me all I wanted at the lower price, even if additional yardage came from the new bolt. It is worth checking to save a few $$.

eparys 08-18-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau

Originally Posted by litacats

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
lol..lucky you don't live in Australia..try about $22 - $25 a metre...or more

DITTO here to in Western Australia

Ditto Southern Highlands:$21-$26 or $34-$75 in the fancy shop...

Oh my - !! I just did a conversion - $75 Australian is almost $80 US!! I hope it is beautiful fabric for that price.. lol.

mhansen6 08-18-2011 06:34 AM

I had the same shock as you did. I went to buy some backing fabric for a quilt top and saw the prices and decided to piece the back with leftover fabric. Good thing I have a large stash.
I know we should support our local quilt stores, but at those prices I am not sure I can.

BellaBoo 08-18-2011 06:37 AM

The closest LQS to me start at 9.99 on the sale fabric, up to $12.99. The owner has started to buy flat folds from Marshall's Dry Goods to have $6 per yard so she can pay her bills.

jodyma 08-18-2011 06:45 AM

Some of the most beautiful quilts you see were made in the depression era. People used whatever was available for quilts----feed sacks, old clothes, etc. One of the most beautiful rugs I have ever seen was made out of twine that was used to tie tobacco. We came from a generation of inventive people, so I'm sure we'll survive this and come up with some awesome quilts.

clem55 08-18-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by jodyma
Some of the most beautiful quilts you see were made in the depression era. People used whatever was available for quilts----feed sacks, old clothes, etc. One of the most beautiful rugs I have ever seen was made out of twine that was used to tie tobacco. We came from a generation of inventive people, so I'm sure we'll survive this and come up with some awesome quilts.

I was thinking the same as you. I'm sure my grandmom and mom didnt go out to buy new fabrics for a quilt top, backings were muslin.

stoppain 08-18-2011 06:56 AM

Oh!! yes, I don't buy like I use to
I have started buying at Joanns, but it just not the same