Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-so-new-quilting-i-feel-like-im-running-out-time-t109830.html)

littlehud 03-22-2011 05:32 PM

I feel the same way. But I'm just enjoying my quilting now and will as long as I can.

jayelee 03-22-2011 05:44 PM

Its really how many you do but how much love you put into the ones you do. At this rate you will probably burn out trying to get to everyone. Take your time and enjoy the process.

sewingsuz 03-22-2011 05:47 PM

Me too.

PaperPrincess 03-22-2011 05:52 PM

I just started last year at the tender age of 60! Had to retire to get enough time.

katyquilter 03-22-2011 06:15 PM

One day at a time. Pick the patterns and fabric that you love, something you want to give to a special person, don't be pressured into making something you don't want to, it won't turn out right anyway. Enjoy each day and each project.

ergranny46 03-22-2011 06:36 PM

You're not running out of time. This is the best time and it's only going to get better. I did my first quilt in 2000 (small wall hanging) at 54, then I did 2 lap quilts for my grandkids, then nothing. Work was hard 12 hour days, lots of overtime.

I tried classes and something always happened, they got cancelled or I couldn't go, multiple reasons.

Then I got sick. Had to quit work. Had to sell our home and move. What a blessing.

The small town we moved to when I was 61 turned out to be great we have a local quilt instructor. have a group of local women who do "Quilts of Valor" and I'm having a ball.

It really is better as you get older. And you have lots of quilts to do and more time than you think .

Kuusistoquilter 03-22-2011 06:41 PM

Relax and enjoy what you are doing. I feel like there is never enough time, but make what you enjoy, not what people want. That way you will at least be able to enjoy quilting

Gladys 03-22-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
I really wish I had started quilting years and years ago. I feel like I have wasted so much time.
I started quilting 2 years ago and have only made 1 king and 2 baby quilts. Now I have so many loved ones I want to make quilts for. I'm 57 and it takes me so long to finish a quilt that I feel at my age I am running out of time and I will never be able to make a quilt for all of them. I am finishing up my son's quilt and still have another daughter I need to start one for, not to mention the 6 grandkids that want one . And my DH, can't forget DH. I have another baby quilt to do and my sister-in-law wants me to make one for her. I love that someone would want something that I have made, I just hope that I can get them all done before I get really old and unable to sew.
Is that silly or what?? LOL

You are so much further along than I am! LOL

cmputerdazed 03-22-2011 06:43 PM

Be careful not to make it feel like work, we want it to stay fun.

EdieClay 03-22-2011 06:46 PM

Don't put such pressure on yourself. Just enjoy and keep working. Have fun!