Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm stuck... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-stuck-t276039.html)

kiffie2413 02-23-2016 10:19 AM

I'm stuck...

Okay my fellow awesome QB people,

I have numerous (as in lots) of quilt tops that I am determined to get quilted.
I'm a mostly self taught quilter, my Nanny (grandma) showed me basic piecing and quilting all by hand years ago. I have taken a few classes at my lqs, but they don't really address choosing the quilting design aspect.

I've purchased countless machine quilting books. Including fmq, quilting with your walking foot, numerous quilting design books. I've taken many Craftsy classes. My latest is Angela Waters Shape by Shape quilting. Great class and book, too. Matter of fact all of the books, blogs, tutorials, online classes are great.

But my evidently non-creative self can't get the hang of quilting. I sit and stare at my quit blocks and I waste so much time debating "How in the heck should I quilt this??". Contrasting or complementary thread? Design?? Etc..
I usually end up doing an outline quilt (not 1/4" away, as I like it closer. But not sid because I can't stay exactly in the ditch). Or I revert back to hand quilting. Which is fine, but I so want to get going with machine quilting. And I've got numerous tops begging, "Finish us, Kif...finish us...".
I usually quilt using my Janome or my Juki. I have a brand new Grace quilting frame, I debated using my PQ-1500 or Horizon with it. My sweet hubby put frame together, I never used it (red face).
Most likely I will sell the frame, and quilt without it.
I also purchased the quilt with rulers foot and ruler set for my Horizon. Again, haven't tried it yet. Yes, I sense the pattern here, too. The problem is ME.

Thanks for abiding my long post. And for sharing your ideas.
Regards,
Kif

Dina 02-23-2016 10:38 AM

It sounds like you haven't found what quilting is right for you yet. Have you tried straight line quilting using that blue painter's tape. That is what works well for me....if I'm not doing SITD, which is my preferred way of quilting.

There are all kinds of straight line quilting ways that you could go with. The blue painter's tape is just so easy to use. Put it where you want and stitch next to it. You can even peel the tape off and reuse it a time or two.

And I always select a thread that just plain blends in. No contrasting here. That way I don't have to make a thread decision.

You will figure out what kind of quilting works for you. You just haven't yet. :)

Dina

Gramie bj 02-23-2016 10:39 AM

Before you sell it, jump in and try it, it will take time and practice with all of your options, but half the fun is learning something new.

tessagin 02-23-2016 11:01 AM

are you near a local quilt shop where they can direct you to a long armer who can give you a couple lessons. Your problem may just familiarizing yourself with "a' machine. Or you could take a photo of the top and print it on grid and plain paper. Put it into a 3 ring binder (plastic) sleeve. Use a washable marker and play with it. Maybe some cross hatching lines here or there. The grid paper would help or if you have electronic (EQ) software. That may help also. I say grid (1/4") paper so you can scale each square how you want.

tessagin 02-23-2016 11:02 AM

I wouldn't get rid of those quilting machines til I've tried them out.

Onebyone 02-23-2016 11:03 AM

I think you are over thinking it. Don't think about it anymore. Put a quilt under the needle and start quilting willy nilly. I would start one of the tops that was more scrappy so the quilt pattern won't show up that much. It's fabric, it's thread, it is a sewing machine. Nothing to be anxious about.

zozee 02-23-2016 11:03 AM

I'll speak to the FMQ style. I also have a Horizon and LOVE it for FMQ. Here's my two cents' worth, because I've been stuck too (more like paralyzed by fear and indecision). I'm not very experienced, but I've finally overcome my fear of FMQ after doing this:

1. Make a few large practice sandwiches with fabric you don't mind throwing away eventually. Plain and dark fabric with light thread (or vice versa) works best so that you can see your stitches. The sandwiches should be about 20x20 so that you really get into the flow of a large space.

2. Since you've watched a lot of online tutes, you have the general idea. You probably have your favorite teachers as well. When someone teaches in a way you understand and are comfortable with, stick with them for your practicing.

3. Use the open toe darning foot and be sure to drop those feed dogs.

4 . I set my stitch length to 2.5 for starters. There should be just enough room under the presser foot to let your fabric slide around.

5. Meander. Don't pull or push the fabric. Go different speeds till you find your groove. Practice that. Then try spelling your name. Then make shapes--bubbles, stars, fish, feathers, leaves, whatever you want. That was fun for me when making a Minecraft quilt. I made little axes:) .

There is muscle memory to this, so no substitute for practice. But you'll never finish the quilting if you don't start. If you have a quilt for charity, make it your first practice quilt. Give yourself permission to flub. You didn't learn to walk in a day, but look at you now!

feline fanatic 02-23-2016 11:44 AM

OMGosh, your DH put the frame all together and you haven't used it at all?? Why not? what is stopping you? Pick a machine and put it on the carriage and go to town. The second I was introduced to quilting on a frame I knew i would probably never hand quilt again. I told sit down machine quilting "Buhbye, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you on the way out!" I never did get the hang of sit down FMQ on my domestic and it was not an aspect of quilting I enjoyed. And I hated making the sandwich with a white hot passion.. But whoa nelly put me in front of a frame and I am one creative happy camper. Wait, what? I don't have to make a sandwich anymore? Wait, what? I am no longer all tensed up and freaked out when it comes to quilting? Holy cow, I can make a circle instead of squarcle!

Please, try out that frame. Load up the top you don't care if you ruin and try all those fabulous designs you have been drooling over in the books. Loops, swirls, feathers, pebbles, wavy lines, straight lines everything you have read and dreamed about. Sometimes all it takes is to try and get rid of the fear. So ditch your fear, not your frame!

Tiggersmom 02-23-2016 12:02 PM

Most quilters are afraid of making a mistake. FEAR stops us.
Put muslin top, batting, and a muslin backing on and Practice!

Draw squares with ink or pencil and decorate them with thread. You can do this!!!!! Everything has a learning curve. Give yourself the opportunity to soar, YES, you eventually will. Don't give up.

Deecee 02-23-2016 12:03 PM

Great advice Feline Fanatic.

I quilt on my Janome and now on a Pfaff and I find the hardest part is just actually getting started. So stop putting it off and give everything a try. Make up scrap sandwiches so you don't feel you "have to get it right" because that's probably the feeling that is holding you back.

Once you take that first step and relax more about what you are doing you will get into the creative groove and start loving it.