Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm thinking of getting a new machine. Any thoughts on these two possibilities? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-thinking-getting-new-machine-any-thoughts-these-two-possibilities-t245609.html)

Likethedog 04-22-2014 02:56 PM

I'm thinking of getting a new machine. Any thoughts on these two possibilities?

Hi -- I've been sewing for about 16 months. I have a vintage machine from about 1960, very basic, non-computerized, of course. It doesn't have a walking foot and I can't find one, and it has some tension issues.

I'm thinking of getting a new machine. My budget is tight. Right now a local store has a Singer 4423 heavy duty machine (the gray one) for $120 and I've read good reviews of the Brother CS6000i with 60 built-in stitches which I can find for about $150.

Anyone had experience with either of these models?

I want the machine for quilting and for making bags from duck or home decor fabric, also little things like hemming curtains and making scarves.

Thanks for any comments or advice. Sorry if I've put this in the wrong category.

Kimkankwilt 04-22-2014 02:59 PM

I, actually, prefer my older "vintage" machines. I do most of my piece work on an older Kenmore. You may want to consider just getting the one you have tuned up and serviced.

AngeliaNR 04-22-2014 03:03 PM

I have the Brother and it is a nice little machine. It is really lightweight, so I found myself pushing it across the table when quilting. It works well for garment making, though, and should do scarves, curtains, and bags just fine. Perhaps if it were set into a table so it wouldn't move, it would be okay for quilting, but the harp is quite small.

Terri D. 04-22-2014 03:07 PM

I'd delay my purchase for as long as possible in order to save up for a used Bernina. Last I heard, the Singers are all manufactured in China and not of the best quality. Don't know anything about the Brother.

Dolphyngyrl 04-22-2014 03:09 PM

The brother is pretty popular, not sure about the singer but I love my brother that has the same quilting features

Prism99 04-22-2014 03:10 PM

I would not buy any of the newer Singers. The Brother CS6000i has gotten great reviews from quilters here on the QB and also at Amazon. That is the one I would buy. Check out the reviews on the Brother at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur...dp/B000JQM1DE/

Stepney 04-22-2014 03:41 PM

Likethedog, I can't tell you anything about the newer Singers (mine are vintage) but I do have the Brother CS6000i and it is a great little machine for doing home projects. I have it set down into the table and have no problems with it moving on me because of that. I also use it for anything needing fancy stitches. I wanted something with a bigger throat so I could learn to FMQ so I bought the Brother 1500s, which is what I use for everything that just needs a straight stitch.
They both have their place and I use and enjoy them both! The CS6000i is a good little inexpensive, all purpose machine if that's what you're looking for. I hope this helps.....

tallchick 04-22-2014 03:48 PM

I have a brother from Walmart that I use all the time to piece and I love it!! It is receded into a sewing cabinet so I have not expreiced the moving across the table. I have had it for 4 years now and I have not had any issues!! I think you will find that most people here have had good experiences with Brother machines. Keep us updated on what you decide!!

TeresaA 04-22-2014 03:58 PM

Costco.com has several Brother and Singer sewing machines, some at your price point. None of them are the ones you've mentioned. However, their return policy can't be beat. If you're a Costco member or know someone who is, you might want to consider one of those. It may be tough to get a super reliable machine at that price point these days, and your money is tight so I would hate to see you get a lemon. If you can get one at a place like Costco with a super liberal return policy, you may be better off. I don't know.

(no affil.)

Good luck!

joysewer 04-22-2014 03:58 PM

I would not buy any of the newer Singers either. The Brother machines are usually good.