Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm wondering, what size black and white stripe should I use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-wondering-what-size-black-white-stripe-should-i-use-t247724.html)

nanna-up-north 06-01-2014 06:18 AM

I'm wondering, what size black and white stripe should I use?

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone made one of these quilts? I love the idea.... plan to get started on one for my nephew. I've decided that using a black and white stripe to make that movie film edge would be easiest if I cut a black and white stripe across the stripe. But how big do you think that stripe is? I bought some 1/4" black and 1/4" white but now I think that is too small. I started looking for 1/2" but can't find a thing. I've located a 1" stripe and looking at the picture I'm thinking that maybe that's the size I should get. So, I'm asking my quilting buddies out there, what size stripe do you think would work best?

ps: I almost forgot. The pictures I'm using are 8 1/2 x 11.

Jeanne S 06-01-2014 06:34 AM

I think the 1" stripe would be perfect. And that is a great idea to cut a strip from a striped fabric rather than piece all those little squares together. I guess another option would be to sew alternating solid black strips and solid white strips together then crosscut them into 1 1/2" strips and sew them together to make the 1" row of alternating squares. I love the quilt! Would be great to use for travel photos!!!

nanna-up-north 06-01-2014 06:59 AM

Yes, Jeanne, I thought of that.... just really would like to avoid sewing a ton of 1 1/2" strips and then crosscut them if I can. Thanks.

ManiacQuilter2 06-01-2014 07:29 AM

I usually grab my Omnigrid ruler and count the the eights of an inch. Yes, I think 1" finished will work great. This is a really neat pattern to use for those fabric from movies.

KwiltyKahy 06-02-2014 03:41 AM

I really love this quilt. I agree that 1" finished would work well. Are you printing your own pictures?

linken 06-02-2014 05:40 AM

When I made my wall hanging, I used 3/8 inch striped black and white.

nanna-up-north 06-02-2014 08:03 AM

I got your PM, linken. I sent a PM back. I just love your quilt. What size is it? Did you use 8 1/2" x 11" pictures?

I'm thinking I'll make mine about a twin size and all my pictures aren't a full 8 1/2" x 11". So, I need to do a little resizing or something. It's going to be for my great nephew. His dad passed and I want this quilt to be a memory for him. He's a really special kid.... well, not a kid anymore .... but you know what I mean.

nanna-up-north 06-02-2014 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy (Post 6740999)
I really love this quilt. I agree that 1" finished would work well. Are you printing your own pictures?

Yes, I'm using that photo fabric that can be printed on my HP photosmart printer. I've done pictures on fabric before and really like how it works. I did one for my grandson's graduation and now 6 years and many washings later the pictures are still looking good.