Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   inadvertent squiggles when FMQing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inadvertent-squiggles-when-fmqing-t290333.html)

NatalieF 08-09-2017 04:22 PM

inadvertent squiggles when FMQing

I'm learning to FMQ and at my very beginnings. When I stitch, I can trot along okayish, but anytime I have to stop and start again, such as removing a pin, or re-positioning my hands, I get an inadvertent "squiggle" in my stitching. I think it's from the weight of the quilt, since it pulls, but no matter how I try to be steady when I start back up, this happens the majority of the time.

I realize that it's a matter of practicing, but does anyone have any tips and tricks that can help? Since I'm just starting, I'm hoping to drill "good habits" in from the start.

Prism99 08-09-2017 04:22 PM

Do you stop with the needle down?

JustAbitCrazy 08-09-2017 05:23 PM

Arrange other flat surfaces around so there is no drag on the quilt at all. You can use an ironing board, anything. There are also frame set-ups you can construct or buy to suspend the rest of the quilt from to eliminate drag. Always stop with the needle down.

Jingle 08-09-2017 05:47 PM

Stopping with the needle down won't help. It happens when you start back up. You just need to try not to move the quilt until you get the machine going. I have done this many times until I remembered to hold the quilt until I started up again.

soccertxi 08-09-2017 06:23 PM

set up a table in front, in back or to your side to help keep the weight of the quilt from shifting your work. I try to take one or two little stitches in place before I move when I start back up. I doubt anyone will see those except you...and Don't You Point Them Out! (I used to point out every little bobble....I made myself stop)

Tartan 08-09-2017 06:27 PM

Make sure you have any pull off the quilt before starting to stitch again. Also check your needle, is it straight or pulled off center in the fabric? Try not to obsess about the first stitch but have a clear path to where you want to go next and start sewing.

ragamuffin 08-09-2017 06:40 PM

Are you sure your presser foot top button is down far enough? I am speaking about the old regular machine, no fancy computer model. The button would be on the top of the machine allowing your presser foot to engage with the feed dogs better. If too loose, you can actually get out of line easily. Just my idea.

QuiltnNan 08-10-2017 01:14 AM

we all have to start somewhere in our FMQ. practice, practice. and make sure the quilt is supported all around, so no drag against the needle.

Eva Knight 08-10-2017 04:26 AM

I did this when I started FMQ. Just remember to not move the fabric until the machine starts moving.

jokir44 08-10-2017 08:34 AM

Try this. When you turn the machine on, raise the needle. Then use the wheel and return the needle to original hole. That way if the quilt has pulled to one side or the other you have realigned it. Then start your regular FMQ.