Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Incomplete? Instructions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/incomplete-instructions-t247793.html)

Nammie to 7 06-02-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6741770)
very well said Terry D

Agree with Terry D -- There are so many "technique" books out there -- that is what I buy when looking for all the information I need on a subject. Then I use the patterns to make a specific quilt. I just purchased a book on applique -- it is over 120 pages of just instruction. I wouldn't expect to have that kind of detail in a pattern. Course that is completely frustrating to those who don't have the background!

KLO 06-02-2014 12:03 PM

Can you imagine the cost of complete instructions for each child that you birth? Kids are costly enough without having to pay each time we have another. Oh wait, we do pay each time ..... and there are a lot of books out there with "instructions" on how to raise a child. Personally, I think the first child should be a "throw away" to learn on and then the subsequent kids would get the benefit of that practice. Ha!

ghostrider 06-02-2014 12:05 PM

Ok, how many recipies do you find in cookbooks that tell you what to serve with the fancy new dish you just prepared so lovingly? Or clothing tags that suggest what you should wear with that new blouse? This is one of your "thinking" posts, right Bear? :)

bearisgray 06-02-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 6741819)
Ok, how many recipies do you find in cookbooks that tell you what to serve with the fancy new dish you just prepared so lovingly? Or clothing tags that suggest what you should wear with that new blouse? This is one of your "thinking" posts, right Bear? :)

Well, some magazines do picture complete outfits and complete menus! Some of my cookbooks have complete menus and how-to for elaborate table settings. Not that that will happen here!

bearisgray 06-02-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Preeti (Post 6741671)
I hear you :-) The title should (ideally) say - Pattern for Quilt Block or Quilt Top.

This was actually the point of the post.

Thank you, Preeti, for "getting it"

dunster 06-02-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 6741817)
Can you imagine the cost of complete instructions for each child that you birth? Kids are costly enough without having to pay each time we have another. Oh wait, we do pay each time ..... and there are a lot of books out there with "instructions" on how to raise a child. Personally, I think the first child should be a "throw away" to learn on and then the subsequent kids would get the benefit of that practice. Ha!

The problem with that is that each kid presents us with different problems, so what we learned on the first one is absolutely no use with the second. (I think they do that on purpose.)

Peckish 06-02-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 6741819)
Or clothing tags that suggest what you should wear with that new blouse?

Sometimes I wish my clothes were Garanimals. Just sayin'. :D

Onetomatoplant 06-02-2014 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 6741817)

I once saw a movie in which a girl referred to herself as "the first pancake." She explained that you use the first pancake as the tester and it usually comes out under or overdone. Being a "first pancake", I got a kick out of it.

ManiacQuilter2 06-02-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6741721)
Do you really want to find instructions on how to layer, quilt, and bind your quilt in every pattern that you buy?

OH, what a perfect answer: NO !! Seriously, there is such a difference between quilter's who use a Longarm and others who quilt using their DSM. It is very hard to do a LAQ all over design on a DSM.

leatheflea 06-03-2014 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6741721)
Do you really want to find instructions on how to layer, quilt, and bind your quilt in every pattern that you buy?

The more paper they use the more the pattern will cost! I think I agree with your hidden statement.