Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Incorporating Cross-stitch, anyone have experience? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/incorporating-cross-stitch-anyone-have-experience-t18570.html)

blzzrdqueen 04-05-2009 06:29 AM

I'm thinking for my label for my quilt, when I'm done, I'd like to do it in cross-stitch and attach it to a block on the lower right hand corner of the quilt. I'm wondering when and how I can do this. When II do cross-stitch, I have to do it on the 14count fabric or it will come out messy. I'm hoping I can just sew that fabric onto the quilt.

Can anyone give me any \advice?

littlehud 04-05-2009 07:25 AM

I have never done that, but it sound like a great idea. I would worry about the cross stitch fabric shrinking and the thread bleeding. Maybe if you washed it before putting it on the quilt, it might work. I would love to try it.

Joan 04-05-2009 08:38 AM

Yes, I would wash once you you complete your embroidery. I just embroidered a label for a quilt and washed it. The floss did not bleed. Yea! Frankly, I think cross stitch would be lovely!!

Moonpi 04-05-2009 08:46 AM

I tried incorporating old cross-stitch pieces I had done into a quilt, but they ended up shrinking a LOT since they were on Aida cloth that I had not pre-washed.

blzzrdqueen 04-06-2009 05:20 AM

Thanks for the tips on washing. I do always wash my work when I'm done with it.

What I'm wondering is how I might attach it to the quilt?

sandpat 04-06-2009 05:23 AM

I would think you have lots of options to attach it...you could incorporate it into part of one of the blocks, you could turn the edges under and applique it to the quilt, you could just machine applique it with some pretty stitches...be creative and have fun with it. I think it will look great as long as it doesn't shrink! :D

mimisharon 04-06-2009 05:26 AM

I embroider most of my labels. I just like that final hand touch and to let the folks getting the quilt know that I loved it enough to put needle hand work on it.

What I would do with the cross stitch is to make it a block. That is, take strips of fabric the same color as the background and stitch them to the sides, then the top and bottom. Turn under the edging like a binding and slip stitch it to the back of the quilt. Then I would take art license to embroider the edges and the joint edges with a decorative stitch because you wouldn't want to quilt through the cross stitch.

Be not afraid to try something, you'll only know it works it you try it! :wink:

Hugs,
Sharon

carrieg 04-06-2009 06:26 AM

I would do like Sharon and make a block. I have done a quilted XS wall hanging with 14ct aida and sashings and it turned out fine.

barbsbus 04-06-2009 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
I'm thinking for my label for my quilt, when I'm done, I'd like to do it in cross-stitch and attach it to a block on the lower right hand corner of the quilt. I'm wondering when and how I can do this. When II do cross-stitch, I have to do it on the 14count fabric or it will come out messy. I'm hoping I can just sew that fabric onto the quilt.

Can anyone give me any \advice?

I do cross stitch using some tear away stuff that I buy at JoAnns. It is stiff and is kind of like canvas. You cross stitch in the holes and when you are through you pull out the threads of the stiff stuff. Wish I could remember the name of it.

blzzrdqueen 04-06-2009 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by barbsbus

I do cross stitch using some tear away stuff that I buy at JoAnns. It is stiff and is kind of like canvas. You cross stitch in the holes and when you are through you pull out the threads of the stiff stuff. Wish I could remember the name of it.

That sounds like a neat product. If you think of the name of it, let me know...I might be interested in it for other projects. :D