Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Industrial sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/industrial-sewing-machines-t57900.html)

Joyce 08-05-2010 06:22 AM

Are there others here on the forum that have industrial machines? I hope there are at least a few of you.
I hate to have these machines just sit idle because I am no longer in business.
Just for the fun of it, I am going to make up some samples of all the ways that I can bind a quilt.
I have been wanting to try my commercial blind hemmer on binding. I won't know how it looks if I don't try it.
The same with the decorative and blind hem on the domestic machines.
I have a walking presser foot machine that I think would be great for SID.
I can use size 12 to 23 needles on it.
Thread can be fine to almost cord.
Are there any of you that would be interested in tutes that concern window treatments, pillows, upholstery, etc.
I could email you copies. This is my own work so copyright would not be an issue.
I am cleaning out and it is hard to do.

litacats 08-05-2010 06:29 AM

I would love an industial sewing machine my neighbour has 1 with a huge table attached to it, it would be perfect for quilting, and she never uses it but if I offered to buy it from her she would charge an arm and a leg, I had one many years ago but never got it working it was only the machine no motor or foot pedal and it was just put in the too hard basket, then we moved and I gave it to a friend,

akrogirl 08-05-2010 06:39 AM

There are probably also several of us who do not currently have industrial machines but who would be interested to see how they handle functions such as your example of binding a quilt. You might succeed in sending a few of us over to the dark side ;-)

genghis khan 08-05-2010 02:45 PM

i have a commercial blind hemmer in my business and they are really handy however im not sure the results of the stitching would be ideal for binding a quilt.

Joyce 08-05-2010 02:58 PM

Arkogirl, you made me laugh out loud with your comment about the dark side.
I have used indus. machines for so many years that I get a little impatient with my household machines. Don't get me wrong, I love all of my babies, slow or fast. I feel about them just like I do my stash. I would think twice before telling anyone how many machines I have :lol:
If I can help anyone with questions on machines or maybe how to do something you have never done before, like re-upholstering, slip covering, draperies, or even alterations, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Being a quilting board, the other skills might not be appropriate to discuss here.

Joyce 08-05-2010 03:17 PM

Hi GK
Just the standard blind hem probably wouldn't work.
I have been going over in my mind the adjustments I could make to the stitch by narrowing the bite and shortening the length.
Also decorative threads might make a difference.

sosewcrazy 08-05-2010 04:19 PM

I have a chair cusion that needs remade. The dog dug a hole in it - on both sides! I have matching fabric from curtains that I could use, but I'd love a tute on how to do this! I've been putting it off all summer because I'm just a little too chicken to start cutting into the little bit of fabric I have.

sheilajstewart 08-05-2010 05:28 PM

I have two dachshunds, when they were babies it was a favourite game to eat the sofa cushions! and it was brand new! I took the cover off the one cushion they had left me and replaced the bottom of the cushion with a strong fabric.That way I had plenty of fabric to make repairs. I also got a rolled newspaper and smacked them with it and that worked too. Good Luck!

sosewcrazy 08-05-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by sheilajstewart
I have two dachshunds, when they were babies it was a favourite game to eat the sofa cushions! and it was brand new! I took the cover off the one cushion they had left me and replaced the bottom of the cushion with a strong fabric.That way I had plenty of fabric to make repairs. I also got a rolled newspaper and smacked them with it and that worked too. Good Luck!

Rolled newspapers work for about 5 minutes. He runs under the table and hides, and I turn around and he's back up there. I guess a swat on the rump doesn't quite make it to his brain LOL!

roselady 08-05-2010 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce
Arkogirl, you made me laugh out loud with your comment about the dark side.
I have used indus. machines for so many years that I get a little impatient with my household machines. Don't get me wrong, I love all of my babies, slow or fast. I feel about them just like I do my stash. I would think twice before telling anyone how many machines I have :lol:
If I can help anyone with questions on machines or maybe how to do something you have never done before, like re-upholstering, slip covering, draperies, or even alterations, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Being a quilting board, the other skills might not be appropriate to discuss here.

I have sewn for most of my life, started with making clothing for me and then my kids. I have made curtains, duvet covers. When I started quilting everything else fell by the wayside. I took an upholstery class and recovered a chair, but I used the shops industrial machine. I just have an old Bernina (which I love) but I don't know if it could handle upholstery, or slip covers (which I would love to learn to make)