Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inexpensive new mechanical machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inexpensive-new-mechanical-machine-t288603.html)

Fabric Galore 06-01-2017 08:11 AM

I have an older Singer that was built in 1955 and I love it. It is great for piecing because the needle hole is small and I don't have to worry about my fabric getting chewed up. It is a straight stitch only and the stitches are so smooth and even. I own 2 other sewing machines and I prefer my older one for quilt piecing.

elnan 06-01-2017 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by carol45 (Post 7834877)
Take a look at the Brother cs6000i on Amazon for approx $150. It has all the basics and more.

The Original Poster asked about Mechanical Sewing Machines. After reading this post about the Brother cs6000i, I pulled it up on Amazon.com. Right off the bat, it says "computerized".

madamekelly 06-01-2017 11:56 PM

I will tell you that the old machines are workhorses. My DD's whole childhood all of their clothes were made on a second hand industrial machine I bought at an auction when Montgomery Wards closed their factory. All it did was forward and back, and zig zag. My niece is still using it. Don't be too quick to discount purchasing an old workhorse.

chadd 06-02-2017 09:50 PM

I agree with an old Singer. I have a 201, 222, and a 301. They are well engineered. The 301 is the fastest of all three. It is not as quiet as the others but it will fly. Oil them and they will last you forever.

Cari-in-Oly 06-02-2017 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by chadd (Post 7836349)
I agree with an old Singer. I have a 201, 222, and a 301. They are well engineered. The 301 is the fastest of all three. It is not as quiet as the others but it will fly. Oil them and they will last you forever.

Does it have that famous "slant Singer whine" to it? There's a fix for that. One of my 301s is so quiet I wouldn't know it was running if I wasn't operating it myself.

Cari

Onebyone 06-03-2017 09:49 AM

Vintage machines are great to have but no new features on them. When you see a nice one buy it. For a new machine you will love the straight stitch Brother 1500, has knee lift, auto thread cutting, needle threader, pin feed, and all you have to do is oil it every so often. Large throat area for machine quilting too. Comes with all the feet and extension table as standard not extra cost.

MadQuilter 06-03-2017 11:14 AM

I just saw Alex Anderson introduce/sponsor a new mechanical machine (available in 3 levels from very basic to more advanced). Sorry I didn't pay attention to the make and model. It was on one of her youtube sessions (What Alex did before she became a quilter)

Cari-in-Oly 06-03-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7836668)
I just saw Alex Anderson introduce/sponsor a new mechanical machine (available in 3 levels from very basic to more advanced). Sorry I didn't pay attention to the make and model. It was on one of her youtube sessions (What Alex did before she became a quilter)

That would be the Eversewn machines I mentioned earlier. Some are mechanical, some are computerized.

Cari

Onebyone 06-03-2017 01:20 PM

Eversewn Sparrow machines are designed by Phillipp Ueltschi from Bernina.