Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Info on light weight sewing machine that sews the same as my keep-home one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/info-light-weight-sewing-machine-sews-same-my-keep-home-one-t211795.html)

needles3thread 01-23-2013 02:25 PM

Info on light weight sewing machine that sews the same as my keep-home one

I want to get a light weight sewing machine that I can take to class & sew the same as my sewing
machine at home. I've heard that sewing seams on different machines can cause problems in
constructing a quilt. What about this? I have an older Pfaff & love it, but hate carrying it to classes.
Thanks for any helpful info. because I want to buy a take-to-class machine.

Jingle 01-23-2013 02:50 PM

I would think all machines could sew the same seam, if you had it set the same as the one at home. A 1/4"seam is a 1/4" seam. Just my opinion.
Can't help with your question. My machines are heavy and I don't take them anywhere but for service. If and when they need it.

mimiknoxtaylor 01-23-2013 03:19 PM

Needles, I have a light weight Brother that I carry around. As a matter of fact ,I'm at my DD now & have it. Already today a friend of hers was eyeing it. I just looked all over it for the model but don't see it. I think its a 700XR or similar. I got it on Overstock. Its reconditioned, but computerized with 70 stitches. It only weighs about 7 lbs or less. I've had it about 5 years and never had a problem with it.
as to the seam allowance, yes it can be different with each machine, etc. I found a neat gadget at LQS called Perfect Piecing Seam Guide--don't leave home without it! Its from www.perkinsdrygoods.com
i use more than one machine on most of my projects & this little yellow plastic thing has made a world of difference
good luck on finding your machine

dogtrnr 01-23-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by needles3thread (Post 5808270)
I have an older Pfaff & love it, but hate carrying it to classes.
Thanks for any helpful info. because I want to buy a take-to-class machine.

I agree: 1/4" is a /4". If you like older machines, a straight stitch Singer 301 is a GREAT machine and fairly light. Of course, there is the Featherweight which is essentially (I think) a half size machine. Usually kinda pricey though.

KathyB
Sharon,WI

dunster 01-23-2013 03:45 PM

Me too, I agree that 1/4" is 1/4" and a scant 1/4" is a scant 1/4" the world over.

I think that what's happening is that some patterns can be sewn with any seam allowance, as long as it's consistent. (Log cabin is an example. Likewise 9-patch, 4-patch, etc.) The resulting blocks will only be exactly the right size if the seams are a scant 1/4", but it's okay if they're all a little smaller or a little larger, as long as they're consistently the same. For this reason, some people will tell you that you need to finish a project on the machine on which you start it. If you learn to sew a consistent scant 1/4" seam, you can sew on any machine. You will have to measure and adjust for each machine until you get it right, but the result is worth the effort.

ckcowl 01-23-2013 03:57 PM

i have a very nice Janome that only weighs 12 pounds- it is a great machine- with plenty of stitches & lightweight enough to (haul) around. i think lots of machine brands have a lightweight model these days- check your local quilt shop, dealers, joannes, even walmart---ask what others in classes/guilds are using locally- i love my janome. :)

mighty 01-23-2013 04:10 PM

The perfect piecing seam guide is great! Good luck with your machine hunt.

CoventryUK 01-23-2013 04:21 PM

Janome Gem 760 is perfect small/light machine for taking to classes!!!:thumbup:

sewingsuz 01-23-2013 04:34 PM

please tell us the model of the light weight Janome.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5808490)
i have a very nice Janome that only weighs 12 pounds- it is a great machine- with plenty of stitches & lightweight enough to (haul) around. i think lots of machine brands have a lightweight model these days- check your local quilt shop, dealers, joannes, even walmart---ask what others in classes/guilds are using locally- i love my janome. :)

ktbb 01-23-2013 04:36 PM

I agree with a couple of the other about the small Janome being great for travel. I'd suggest that to save money on feet, etc, you check and see if Pfaff has a small travel machine - that way you should be able to use feet from your current machine on your new one, but take one in to check it out. I know that Viking has a new 15 lb machine, so I'm guessing that Pfaff also has one as well since they're owned by the same umbrella company.