Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inheriting more fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inheriting-more-fabric-t123452.html)

Sandyb 05-17-2011 05:11 AM

Deborah, I am sorry about your sister. I just went to a quilt show put on by the Ohio Star Quilter's about 2 weeks ago. Some of the door prizes were some of the "stuff" that had been donated by one of their member's (who had passed away last year) family. I won an appliqued panel that the member had made and had not finished. A member of the guild took the panel and matched it up really good with some other material and made it into a pillow. I won it and I really like it. I asked for and received the name of the family and sent them a thank you note. You might want to consider a local quilting club or something like that.

Thank you

vivoaks 05-17-2011 05:25 AM

I just saw a place online this morning that the organization made quilts for children around the world who need cleft palette and cleft lip surgery. The doctors & nurses donate their time, and each child wakes up with a new quilt to keep him or her warm, and can take home with them. I'll see if I can find it.
There's always Quilts for Kids & Quilts of Valor. If you have fabric that not 100% cotton, there's also a group that sews items for soldiers returning with injuries that keep them in the hospital for long periods. It's part of Soldiers Angels, called Sew Much Comfort.....just a few. :-D

JulieTN 05-17-2011 05:26 AM

Be very careful --- I would say try your best to give the fabric close to home also.
Julie

Deborah12687 05-17-2011 05:27 AM

My brother has decided to keep the fabric local were he lives in Wisconsin. They have a group that does quilting and since he doesn't have much income to support himself and my sister in law's son he has to sell the fabric. There are a lot of medical bills and funeral exspenses that need to be paid.

Tudey 05-17-2011 06:13 AM

Having worked in various nursing homes in the past, I know that lap quilts, or lap robes, are always in short supply. Our own quilting group is going to make lap quilts and walker bags for several local nursing homes, and possibly some
quilted shawls from a pattern in one of the magazines.

brightstar_202 05-17-2011 06:30 AM

there are church's there are hospital's and nursing homes ready for allthe help they can get when it comes to quilts they are like magnets they will attract all who are in need. Holess shelter's and so on if you ask around at the doctor's office or the churches or united way red cross the list keeps going they all will take them.

Nancy Ingham 05-17-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
How nice of you to consider others, with your fabric blessings.
There are so many in need, where it will be appreciated.

Though I want you to consider first, if charity starts at home, in this case? Perhaps consider making quilts for your brother and any children/grand they have? Also her parents, siblings or close friends. Maybe memory quilts with photos included?

It could be a very touching gesture to give them quilts made from her stash.

I agree completely!
:thumbup:

AngieS 05-17-2011 06:39 AM

It's nice of you to use the fabric to help others. Here in our city we have the Door of Hope. It's a place where women can go for help when they find out they are expecting.....sometimes they need encouragement. :) What about St. Jude? Or Quilts of Valor? Is there an orphanage anywhere close by? You could make quilts up for children then at Christmas time they could be donated to all the little children that are on the Angel trees to go along with what others give them. Does the Red Cross need any quilts? Womens Shelters? What about the elderly of your church?

Just brainstorming. Hope that's ok. ;)

Good luck and Thank you for doing for others. That's what we should all be doing. HUGS! :XD:

AngieS 05-17-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham

Originally Posted by QuiltE
How nice of you to consider others, with your fabric blessings.
There are so many in need, where it will be appreciated.

Though I want you to consider first, if charity starts at home, in this case? Perhaps consider making quilts for your brother and any children/grand they have? Also her parents, siblings or close friends. Maybe memory quilts with photos included?

It could be a very touching gesture to give them quilts made from her stash.

I agree completely!
:thumbup:

Good idea too!

mimee4 05-17-2011 06:47 AM

Our high school home ed class made pillowcase dresses for Africa. I donated a bunch of fabric and laces, etc to them. So many great ideas on this thread.