Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inmate Quilting Program (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inmate-quilting-program-t58281.html)

QuiltswithConvicts 08-07-2010 12:24 PM

They buy canteen, hygene, music downloads for their MP3 players, games, hobby shop supplies, personal quilting supplies, personal clothing items such as sweats, send it home.

They get from $45.00 - $75.00 a month - not all that much in the grand scheme of things, but they're happy to get more than the porters do. They get about $25.00 per month.

Lady Shivesa 08-07-2010 12:37 PM

Kathy, I just wanted to say I think you're doing a wonderful work. God bless you and all those who got this project started! :)

quilterguy27 08-07-2010 12:40 PM

How amazing! I'm concerned they would keep the needles and whatever other items they could get their hands on and use them for weapons. I really hope that doesn't happen. I love it when I hear stories like this.

I am visually impaired and I have a seeing eye dog. When researching the prospect of getting a dog I considered getting one trained by inmates. That is also a great program. Although, I opted for another organization they do great work with animals!!.

Congrats on your program. I'd wish you luck but it sounds like it's been going on for years and is doing well and you don't need donations because it's a profit based program.
So... All I can say is GREAT JOB and ROCK ON!!!

lots2do 08-07-2010 01:18 PM

This was fascinating to read! Thanks for posting about it.

lisainmo 08-07-2010 01:22 PM

What an awesome program, we don't think about inmates doing things like quilting! Your story amazes me, I hope it continues on, the quilts they make are great, and I am sure that it does give them something to do. Hats off to you for doing this, and thank you for sharing the story with us today.

dglvr 08-07-2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by lisainmo
What an awesome program, we don't think about inmates doing things like quilting! Your story amazes me, I hope it continues on, the quilts they make are great, and I am sure that it does give them something to do. Hats off to you for doing this, and thank you for sharing the story with us today.

Ditto. Thats great. Thanks for posting :thumbup:

cherylynne 08-07-2010 01:30 PM

You are doing a great service. Although these people are incarcerated they are helping others.

wvdek 08-07-2010 02:13 PM

What a great service and program.

Lacelady 08-07-2010 02:17 PM

Kathy, thanks for going to all the trouble telling us about the quilt program you are involved in. You are doing a great thing there, and not only does it enrich the lives of the inmates, but all those who have been recipients of their quilts. It's fantastic!

CarrieAnne 08-07-2010 02:49 PM

I think its great what you are doing. Its nice that these guys are able to do something productive with their time, instead of just sitting.