Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Innova 18 or APQS Lenni? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/innova-18-apqs-lenni-t306657.html)

Tatiana98 09-01-2019 08:56 AM

Innova 18 or APQS Lenni?

Hello Quilting Board Members! You have helped me many times in the past (anonymously) and now I'm looking for specific help. I have been using a Qnique 15+ on a 10ft frame and am looking to upgrade my quilting experience. I have a 12x20' sewing room. I have narrowed my search to the APQS Lenni (22") or the Innova 18" mainly due to their table widths. Leaning toward the Innova (fell in love at a Quilt Show) but am worried that the 18" throat space will not be enough for the long haul. I'm going to be trying both machines in the next 2 weeks. Does anyone use the Innova 18 and have you found the smaller size to be a problem? I quilt as a hobby, doing bed quilts, collage & other art quilts. All dealers are 1.5 to 2 hours from me so evenly matched. These are the pros and cons I'm most concerned with:
Lenni: Pros: 22" throat space, APQS Service & Lifetime Warranty
Cons: Only available on standard table (seems "less than" to me than the deluxe)
Less bells & whistles than Lucey, then Millie & unable to add deluxe features.
Innova Pros: "Feel" of Lightning Stitch! and solidity of Table (same as other models)
Ability to add any deluxe feature later
Cons: 18" throat space, 5 year (4 on demo) Warranty
Meanwhile, I'm trying to reevaluate my sewing space to see if I can accommodate larger machines, but I really think I'm stuck with smaller machines. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!

feline fanatic 09-01-2019 09:10 AM

I will state up front that I am totally biased because I love my Innova! Although I do have the deeper throat, I have a 26". I rarely use all that space but I am glad to have it when I need it. Innova does come in a 22" is there any reason you aren't considering that size or the new M24? Anyway, when I was first considering the purchase my dealer said you can quilt a 12" block with an 18 but not if it is set on point, you will have to roll the quilt to do it. The lightening stitch is indeed awesome. I recently upgraded my machine (bought in 2011 with the regular SR) to L/S last year and it is so responsive and amazing, should have done the upgrade sooner. Also I get a lot more selections of SPI with it. From a large basting stitch down to a teeny tiny 22 SPI. More and more big name quilters have switched to Innova from all the other brands. That says something right there.
Edited to add these machines are built to last and are super easy to learn how to maintain yourself. I strongly feel the Innova doesn't have a lifetime warrantee because it doesn't need one. My machine is almost 10 years old (it was a dealer demo when I bought it so already almost a year old) and is running great. Any problems I ever had were operator error or when my DH and I messed it up pretty badly one time trying to fix it. In that case, even a lifetime warranty wouldn't have helped because we messed it up.

quilts4charity 09-01-2019 09:47 AM

I have an 18" inch Innova with No bells and whistles, not even a stitch regulator, I absolutely Love her. I've had "Abby" for 8 years now and have quilted hundreds of quilts on her. I do not do anything fancy however, pantographs and free motion but I only quilt for myself and charity stuff.

Tatiana98 09-01-2019 10:27 AM

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! I've read some of your posts regarding the Innova, and they have helped so much. I've read on the Yahoo group that one can fit a 22" on the smaller frame if necessary, so I may look into that! My She-Shed is 12 ft. wide (outside to outside) & I still need room for all my "Stuff" LOL, so that's guiding my choice of the smaller table.

Tatiana98 09-01-2019 10:36 AM

I am seeing that Innova owners are loyal (& a fancy group e.g. Jamie Wallen & Edyta Sitar LOL) & that means a lot! I fell in love at my local Quilt Show (I guess it was with Lightning Stitch), so I'm anxious to try others with and without LS this Wednesday at my nearest dealer, about 70 miles away!

mkc 09-01-2019 02:30 PM

I've quilted on both. Hands down I would go Innova (and try to go with their 22" if you can).

Snooze2978 09-02-2019 05:58 AM

Just measured my room that has my 26" on a 12' frame and its only 10.5 wide by however long. I have my cords up in the ceiling so I don't trip over them when I'm at the back of the frame for whatever reason. I have IQ on my machine and love it. APQS is right here in Carroll, IA but after comparing the specs on these 2 brands, pricing, options, customer service, etc. I went with the Innova. The fact that if I have a problem I can call Michael and he will walk me thru it. I also have the LS on it but don't need it with IQ. I also added from the get on their upgraded upper tension system and that's a real stress release. I rarely have to adjust the upper tension no matter what threads I use. I use Jamie's method for testing the tension on my bobbin thread. And the biggest thing was when I went to the quilt show......my 1st ever, I wasn't even in the market for a new machine. I was just playing with all of them and fell in love with the Innova. Decided then that if and when I decided to upgrade that's what I'd get. My mother jumped in and told me to go order what I wanted as she wanted her quilt done more sooner than later as I had told her that she'd have to wait till I had a larger machine/frame. It was a huge quilt. You best bet is to try out all the machines you can and see what feels best under your hands for the type of quilting you like to do, their customer service, what you get for the price they quote you, etc.

anonymous 09-02-2019 07:03 AM

I love my 26" innova too. Try for at least a 22", you won't regret the extra space and lightning stitch is wonderful. Get whatever your budget allows as you can always add on any feature later. Used is a good option too.

NoraB 09-02-2019 08:10 AM

I own an 18" Innova with a 10' frame and love it! I quilt for gifts and charity. If I had a larger room, I would get a 12' frame - that size of quilts for me are few and far between. I use 11" pantograms and don't usually free motion. I'm in love with Innova. Their service is exceptional. Yes, you can call the number and someone will get with you in a few minutes to help solve your problem. I can't say enough about that machine and the frame is exceptionally sturdy. I also appreciate the fact that you can always "add on" other features or upgrade. I've had my machine for 10 years and no issues at all. Love it!

Snooze2978 09-03-2019 05:05 AM

Tatiana98, when I knew I wanted the Innova, I had to decide on whether to go with the regular SR or the LS due to the price. I was able to try both on machines located in homes. I got my answer and went with the LS even though I knew I would be using robotics most of the time. I had a 3rd party robotic system that didn't need the LS. When I went for a newer robotic system if I'd gone with Innova's AP I would need the LS but I went with another brand that again didn't need it but it comes in handy when I go to baste my quilts. I still try my hand with rulers from time to time too so again the LS would come in handy.