Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Input appreciated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/input-appreciated-t299753.html)

Kassaundra 09-23-2018 01:05 PM

Input appreciated

I am looking at 2 different sewing machines. I would like input from anyone who has experience w/ either one. Singer quantum stylist 9960 and Singer modern quilter 8500Q. Thanks.

gramma nancy 09-24-2018 08:50 AM

I noticed no one had responded to you, so I thought I would pass on some advice. The only way to know which machine is for you is to sew on both of them. Take your time and try some of the things you would routinely do when sewing at home. Which has controls that feel more intuitive? Which has adequate light -- in the right place for the way you sit at the machine? Does one feel like a joy to use while the other is a bit more of a chore? Which has the capabilities you are looking for -- adjustable needle position, automatic buttonholes, fancy stitches, stitch regulator -- whatever is important to you?

Only when you put your butt in the seat and your hands on the controls can you begin to assess which is right for you.

Good luck!

cashs_mom 09-24-2018 10:12 AM

I have no knowledge of either of these machines and, frankly, wouldn't consider either one. I have 3 vintage Singer which are great machines, but the new ones IMO aren't worth the money. For the kind of money they are asking, there are other machines out there that I would consider.

As Nancy says, you really have to test drive machines yourself to see which one is for you. Good luck with your search.

Dolphyngyrl 09-24-2018 10:35 AM

I have heard good things about quantum, never heard of the other

midwife 09-24-2018 10:43 AM

I sew on vintage Singer's and love them. I agree with Cashs mom, the modern ones aren't very good. Play with the machine before you buy it.

Barb in Louisiana 09-24-2018 01:32 PM

My daughter has had two Singers that went bad for her and one was a Quantum. The Singers are not the machines they used to be. Look up the models you are interested in on the internet and read the reviews. Then, buy from some place where you can return the machine if you don't like it. My little Brother I got from Walmart, is still sewing good 10 years later. It does pull to the side, but as long as I know that, I can adjust the way I hold the material. I have an inexpensive Janome that has a better stitch, but I don't use it too often because it threads differently from my two Brothers and uses a different bobbin. Pfaff with the walking foot built in was a machine I thought I would like to have, but I just don't need another machine.

zozee 09-24-2018 02:14 PM

Have heard mostly negative things about the Singers built since about 1970. That info came from my sewing machine repairman who sells machines. He won't carry them because, in his words, "they're junk"--insides are all plastic and he says they aren't worth the money to repair them. Says you might get 2-3 years out of it but they are essentially disposable. And he's seen them all. He is fond of Janome, Necchi, Elna, and just about any non-electronic machine.

pocoellie 09-25-2018 04:00 AM

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Singer but would happily buy an old one.

SusieQOH 09-25-2018 05:51 AM

Kassaundra, I think the reason nobody responded right away is because the newer Singers don't have a good reputation. Maybe people didn't want to offend you. When I read the post that was my thought so I didn't say anything!
To be honest, I have never used one that you mentioned. But there are so many nice machines out there, all different brands.

shasta5718 09-25-2018 06:45 AM

My son has some of the new singers and has had problems with some of them.