Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Input please on Pilot Frixion gel pens for marking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/input-please-pilot-frixion-gel-pens-marking-t207019.html)

BellaBoo 11-27-2012 12:11 PM

The white line goes away with washing. At least the lines on my batiks and dark fabric did.

117becca 11-27-2012 01:48 PM

Since i wash my quilts when i'm finished, anything left after the heat causes the markings to disappear, is then washed out when after going thru the washing. Lead pencils were left in quilts for years and years and years. One word of warning though. If you live in a warm climate and you keep the quilt in the car, beware that your markings will disappear!! (says she w/ experience ;) )

LivelyLady 11-27-2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew (Post 5681925)
love em. Use them all the time and have not had a problem. A blow dryer also makes it disappear or the dryer will do it.

I'm a big fan of them, too!!

topstitch 11-28-2012 04:07 AM

You are 100% right about then coming back on some light fabric.

Originally Posted by Up4BigChal (Post 5682786)
The do come back if you use them on light fabric no matter how much you iron them

institches33 11-28-2012 04:13 AM

I've used the black pens for several years and LOVED them. No problems at all.

I got a pen for darker fabrics (Frixion) that was more like an orange marker. The markings would not come out of the dark green Hoffman fabric on a Grinch quilt. Very disappointing. (of course I did not test since the other pens worked so well. Lesson learned.

brenwalt 11-28-2012 04:27 AM

Yes, I have used them A LOT. BEWARE: that ink is in there forever. Granted, ironing causes it to become transparent but it is still there and should the quilt be i a cold place, the marks will return. There is nothing that will take that ink out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still use Frixion for certain types of marking but I attach a label to the quilt telling the owner that if the quilt becomes cold, the only way to cause the marks to disappear again is to use a hot iron.
If you use a scrap to test the Frixion pen, it may wash out with stain treatment solutions but be warned, once that ink is ironed to cause transparency, there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, that will remove it!!

Holice 11-28-2012 05:03 AM

Don't use them. There have been too many problems reported. One on this Board reported marking and removing with iron and then taking quilt as a gift in car to a cold climate and the marks all came back. So you don't have to freeze the quilt. Also will bleach out some colors. So........don't use them unless in area that won't show.

rj.neihart 11-28-2012 05:46 AM

I haven't heard of these pens until reading this post. I use crayola washable markers - but only for drawing on my quilting design when the quilt is in the quilting frame. Hand quilting, artist style one could say...

Pat G 11-28-2012 07:10 AM

I found them at Walgreen's. I love using them & have found no problems yet. Haven't experienced the bleach line yet though.

grandme26 11-28-2012 09:55 AM

I love the pens but beware the marks might reappear if the temp. is freezer cold. Also the warn about not using them on batiks. I use the pens only in the seam allowance.