Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Instead of binding--turning in the raw edges? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/instead-binding-turning-raw-edges-t294013.html)

asabrinao 01-13-2018 10:05 AM

Instead of binding--turning in the raw edges?

I recently found a book on French quiltmaking at a used bookstore. The book, which is not particularly old (copyright 1996), is mostly historical and informational. However, there are three projects at the end of the book to give one an opportunity to try classic styles from Provence. I found it so interesting that none of the three projects end with a binding. Instead, the directions say to "turn in the raw edges by 1/2" and finish with a line of running stitches just at the edge of the folds."

Why have I not heard of finishing quilts in this way before?

The three projects vary in size--(68" x 61"; 19" x 18"; and 91" square) and all are meant to be used and laundered.

Bindings are my least favorite part of the quilting process, so this alternative intrigues me. I plan on trying this out with a small sample, just to see how it looks and launders. But, I'm wondering if there are any folks out there who do this regularly. Do you like the way it looks? Does it hold up well? I'd never heard of finishing the edges of a quilt this way and I'm wondering if I've found a way around doing those pesky bindings.

The book, by the way, is called Quilts of Provence: The Art and Craft of French Quiltmaking by Kathryn Berenson. It's a lovely introduction to French quilts--lots of historical information and great pictures.

Rebecca_S 01-13-2018 10:10 AM

This sounds interesting, I haven't heard of it before. Does it mean that the quilting stitches cannot go all the way to the edge? I suppose you can pick out the stitches near the edge if needed.

Boston1954 01-13-2018 10:22 AM

Be sure to show us a picture when you do. I think it is fascinating.

ptquilts 01-13-2018 10:25 AM

I did this once, at a customer's request on a Grandmother's Flower Garden top that I hand quilted and finished, with hundreds of small hexes, and she wanted the ones on the edge to retain their hex shape, so no binding.

Never again!!

asabrinao 01-13-2018 10:30 AM

The quilting stitches don't go all the way to the edge, but near it. They're wholecloth quilts that are designed to look a little puffy (although only one of the projects uses cording to make the puffs). Like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/54/d9/55/5...que-quilts.jpg

Teen 01-13-2018 10:32 AM

This sounds like a beautiful way to finish a quilt. However; with a sandwiched quilt and machine quilting, you'd have to be careful to not quilt at the the very edge so it can be turned under....and then what do you do with the batting at the edge. I'm trying to visualize this.

Anniedeb 01-13-2018 10:36 AM

Interesting idea. I'd have to give this some thought....

mom-6 01-13-2018 10:42 AM

I did a baby quilt (prequilted panel with scalloped edge) this way. I just tied off the quilting at the edge and hand stitched the edge together like you would the finishing of binding. I think I may have done a line of machine stitching at the edge of the printed "binding" to give it a finished look. Since it was a gift I don't know how it lasted but I don't see why there would be a problem.

Tartan 01-13-2018 10:46 AM

I believe what you are referring to is the "knife" edge way of finishing a quilt.

roguequilter 01-13-2018 10:49 AM

i have that book ..isn't it wonderful!? :) ..but ..i bought it for the history, primarily, i may or may not do one of the quilt patterns in it. as for the knife edge finishing technique you mentioned ..it is something i have used on many projects over the years ..all quilty projects. it's nice for anything from placemats to quilts, especially quilts i make using minky type fleece or faux fur quilts for my grand treasures. if you use it you can also do a straight line of stitching 1/2" or so in from edge after finishing the hand stitch of two folded-in edges. this aditional line of stitching looks nice, the bulk of four fabric layers plus the batt gives a bit of diminsion.
...note:
when using this technique i fold either the top or backing over edge of batt when folding in to stitch. i like the fullness of batt to extend to the very edge of finished quilt regardless of type of edge finish i do --folded in, brought around fr back or binding.